OSHA 1910.137

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

When they wrote the rules, Class 00 did not exist. They never updated the rules.

OSHA has issued several 'letter rulings' where they say that while Class 00 gloves do not meet the strict wording of the regulation, they will not cite in circumstances where the gloves are used as intended.

When they wrote the rules, Class 00 did not exist. They never updated the rules.

OSHA has issued several 'letter rulings' where they say that while Class 00 gloves do not meet the strict wording of the regulation, they will not cite in circumstances where the gloves are used as intended.

Never heard that before. Do you have a link to those letters? Sounds like OSHA is implying that they do not like the class 00 500 volt rating gloves.

renosteinke

Iwire, thank you for the link. I excerpt from it:

"OSHA will consider an employee who uses Class 00 Rubber Insulating Gloves which meet the amended ASTM D120 standards (which will include use voltage limitations) as a de minimis violation."

"De Minimus" is a fancy way of saying 'too small to bother with.' Like, say, a 1-cent error on your tax return, or a 1-mph speed limit violation. IOW, they won't cite.

True, there is a difference between a quote and an inference. Woe be it, though, to the enforcer who wastes the courts' time with de minimus violations.

Thanks for the link, didn't see it at first when I posted. I wonder why OSHA won't go ahead and put class 00 in the federal regulations.

I know for me personally though, I like using the class 0 1000 volt I'm use to them and have good dexterity. I've seen too many times where 480v systems would go above 500 volts, wheather it equipment, surges, or the utility company raising it because of voltage drop.

What does class 00 500 volt derate to? Is it 250 volts? I remember reading that somewhere not sure where. I know if for some odd reason a person use the gloves without leather protectors you have to derate down to the next class.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Iwire, thank you for the link. I excerpt from it:

"OSHA will consider an employee who uses Class 00 Rubber Insulating Gloves which meet the amended ASTM D120 standards (which will include use voltage limitations) as a de minimis violation."

"De Minimus" is a fancy way of saying 'too small to bother with.' Like, say, a 1-cent error on your tax return, or a 1-mph speed limit violation. IOW, they won't cite.

True, there is a difference between a quote and an inference. Woe be it, though, to the enforcer who wastes the courts' time with de minimus violations.

But they say it will only be a de minimis violation after the ASTM D120 is amended. Has that happened yet?

Until then, its a violation.

But they say it will only be a de minimis violation after the ASTM D120 is amended. Has that happened yet?

Until then, its a violation.

Its my understanding they have, otherwise some of these websites (Salisbury comes to mind) claiming to be ASTM compliant or exceeded would be false advertising.

Does anyone have a link to the ASTM where they amended it for the class 00 gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.