failed doorbells

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

Gotta call this afternoon from an apt owner that all doorbells to units stopped working. First thoughts tripped breaker somewhere. Mind you I haven't even went out yet, just wanted to cheat a little before I did:cool:. Most apts I deal with have individual transformers for doorbells to units but are there transformers that will serve multiple units doorbells. Just wanted to pick some brains before I went out, owner says he didn't see any tripped breakers but if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that boyyy i tell ya

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Gotta call this afternoon from an apt owner that all doorbells to units stopped working. First thoughts tripped breaker somewhere. Mind you I haven't even went out yet, just wanted to cheat a little before I did:cool:. Most apts I deal with have individual transformers for doorbells to units but are there transformers that will serve multiple units doorbells. Just wanted to pick some brains before I went out, owner says he didn't see any tripped breakers but if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that boyyy i tell ya
If if it a system with a common bell pushbutton panel for all units, they will all use the same transformer and it should be powered from the house panel rather than an individual tenant panel.
If it is only a local bell and pb at each unit, then they might have individual transformers, but could still all wired to a common circuit somewhere, since there will be house power wiring in a variety of places in the building, including hallways, etc.

bobbymari

If if it a system with a common bell pushbutton panel for all units, they will all use the same transformer and it should be powered from the house panel rather than an individual tenant panel.
If it is only a local bell and pb at each unit, then they might have individual transformers, but could still all wired to a common circuit somewhere, since there will be house power wiring in a variety of places in the building, including hallways, etc.

yea first 2 things I thought of were comman house circuit I/E tripped breaker comment, or although I haven't seen them a comman transformer. Thanks guys I'll find it, as I stated just wanted to cheat a little before hand. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
simultaneously? not very often I assume good point. Just haven't seen em done that way but its one of 2 things that first came to mind when I got the call thanks
Can you say, "denial of service attack"? Flashmob goes to apartment building and on cue rings every doorbell in the place simultaneously. Drags the doorbell system to its knees. Gotta call the Doorbell System Adminstrator. :D

bobbymari

update comman transformer at house panel was no good, thanks guys:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.