Feeder to Deattached Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Existing install where there is underground PVC conduit with a piece of SER Cable from house to panel in garage. The PVC is basically a sleeve, it doesnt terminate in either panel. SER is listed for Wet location so, Is this legal?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nope.
In '08 the Code made it very clear in 338.12(A)(2).
Prior to that, many inspectors interpreted the Code as SE not being allowed as it was described as having a "moisture resistant covering" where as USE was specifically described as permitted for underground, but it was not as clear as clarified in '08.

Last edited:

chevyx92

Nope.
In '08 the Code made it very clear in 338.12(A)(2).
Prior to that, many inspectors interpreted the Code as SE not being allowed as it was described as having a "moisture resistant covering" where as USE was specifically described as permitted for underground, but it was not as clear as clarified in '08.

I had a feeling it wasn't. If it was USE-2 then it would have been legal right? Also then they would have need the PVC and could have direct buried the USE-2 right?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I had a feeling it wasn't. If it was USE-2 then it would have been legal right? Also then they would have need the PVC and could have direct buried the USE-2 right?

Only problem with USE (in this application) is that it has to be terminated at an outdoor location. Some cables are dual rated such as USE/RHW. Such cable would be permissible as your underground and could terminate inside.,

hurk27

Only outside of the building, USE is not allowed inside, it would have to terminate and change to a method allowed inside see 338.12(B) If a cable wiring method is listed as a direct burial cable then there is no requirement to use a conduit, but many still do to better protect it and make it easier to replace should it go bad, I always use PVC to enclose my feeds to trailers in trailer parks as with all the embedded gas electric and cable/phone wire close together it only makes sense to protect the feeders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.