Panelboard labeling 210.5(C) examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will B

Hi all. I have been lurking on the site for years and have finally found the need to register. Thanks in advance for all of the knowledge I have gained from you all, some more than others.

My question concerns the "label" portion of this change. I have been tasked with desiging labels to affix to the face of our electrical panels (mostly 480/277v and 208/120v) and was curious what your labels look like. Did you make them or have them made? Post a pic!

It's funny to me that there isn't a "standard" per se. Seems very vague as to how this label should look.

Again, thanks for everything and thanks in advance for any input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The question is what is permanent mean. Generally a sticker from a a tool like this is not permanent- not sure why tho.. Imo, the really permanent one would be the hard stickers bolted to the panel but I believe other styles may be allowed. Not sure this is defined anywhere

label-maker.jpg

renosteinke

Some code requirements, such as 'subject to abuse' or 'mechanical protection,' can truly be applied only with hindsight. That is, only with time can you tell if you did things right - or not.

The Dymo lablers, as Dennis pictured .... I'm sorry, but over time either the label's curl makes them pop off, or the pressed-in letters return to thieir original position (flat) and just disappear. So, I don't consider them permanent, or much good for anything.

What about the labels you can print, using one of the newer handheld printers, or the home computer? I'd say you won't know until you try them- and often all you might need to do is to cover them with clear package tape to make them really durable.

Heat, sun, humidity, and even the simple drying of the glue can cause a label to become useless with time. Heck, I have a plant filled with engraved / embossed metal nameplates that have been rendered illegible just from the background ink fading away. Nothing is forever.

kwired

Electron manager
Well I suppose you could engrave your information into the steel, but it could still be removed with a grinder.

I think anything that will endure the expected normal environment is considered permanent enough.

Will B

Thanks guys. I will be having someone make phenolic labels, so that isn't my question. I'm really just looking for examples of what wording is on the lables, size of text, colors, etc.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Legible in dim light.
12 point or larger print.
Weatherproof material if outdoor.
Etched, so not obliterated if surface is cleaned.
State where fed from.
State voltage & phase colors clearly.

Other equipment

Not hidden behind the unit being labeled.
Not obstructed by other objects or equipment.
Duplicate labeling inside the cover enclosing the terminals.
*Warning if other procedures needed to change voltages.

Not NEC but my personal thoughts for a long happy life.

*I say this because I once powered up a forklift charger at a new location. Had been on 240, new location was 480. I read the diagrams on the equipment. Moved jumper bars as instructed. Forklift not there net, so I could not test it. Checked for proper 480 incoming, double checked terminations, all good. Customer told me Monday they tried to charge lift on Sat & it would not charge. They called equipment supplier who said an internal computer board needed changing also. Fortunately, no damage. I looked bad there. But I had done same thing with motors & various equipment & never heard about computer boards. I learned then if I don't have a manual, call a dealer or mfr & find out if other procedures are needed. That could have been a costly venture.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Whatever you do, and how ever you do it, please make sure it is easy to use.

I am frequently astonished at the number of name tags on a piece of equipment. I remember one that had 4 different names; the newest one (the arc flash label) was not the correct one (they went back to their old method instead of one forced on them by the study supplier).

Also consider your placement, again it is amazing how many times a nameplate is installed in an inconvenient or inconspicuous place, because someone did not want to remove outdated labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.