old house remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowE

I got asked to do so work in old house that has 12/2 nm with no ground throughout the whole house. About half of the walls have been opened up and moved so alot of the circuit in the house will fall under 210.12b and require AFCI. The home owner has a tight budget and wants to leave the old 12/2 nm cable, What article does the existing 2 wire branch circuit fall under? Does the existing two wire have to be changed to 12/2 wg? In the past I have all ways replaced the branch circuit with 12/2wg or 12/3wg but it is usually a kitchen or bathroom remodel where only a couple of homeruns need to be pulled back to the panel.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I got asked to do so work in old house that has 12/2 nm with no ground throughout the whole house. About half of the walls have been opened up and moved so alot of the circuit in the house will fall under 210.12b and require AFCI. The home owner has a tight budget and wants to leave the old 12/2 nm cable, What article does the existing 2 wire branch circuit fall under? Does the existing two wire have to be changed to 12/2 wg? In the past I have all ways replaced the branch circuit with 12/2wg or 12/3wg but it is usually a kitchen or bathroom remodel where only a couple of homeruns need to be pulled back to the panel.
It's hard for me to comprehend a situation in which sealing open walls without changing out 12/2 without ground would seem like a reasonable plan?

John120/240

It's hard for me to comprehend a situation in which sealing open walls without changing out 12/2 without ground would seem like a reasonable plan?

i agree 100%, i have never been asked to do this before.

If the sheet rock is already off & they are moving walls go ahead & pull new 14-2 or 12- romex and be done with it. Sounds like the

right time to suggest a service upgrade. Home owners forget about stuff in the wall and focus on granite counter tops and faux

painting.

RowE

i gave him a quote to replace all the old 12/2 and add the required afci's. He said he found someone to do what he wanted for half the price i quoted. Local ahj is pretty tough, so I wished him goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.