whats up w some of these new tr outlets
customers cant even get their plugs in
any tips to give them like

rock it back and forth :/

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have found that the P&S brand has had very little problems with that issue. It seems other brands have been complained about more. So- what brand?

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
New Leviton slim ones

So what am I supposed to tell them?
To wiggle it or that I replace it for free =0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Old people may have trouble with these but if the home owner can wiggle it in just explain that the new rules have made it hard for all. If you can get a P&S receptacle then try that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Btw this is a gfi thx Dennis
You're welcome- I have had maybe one or two complaints in all the years we have used TR. I use P&S and have been fortunate they don't appear to have a problem like some of the other manufacturers.

I explained that you must plug in the device evenly and sometimes a little wiggle helps. Once they got it they were happy. People with arthritis have a much more difficult time with these then others

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
You're welcome- I have had maybe one or two complaints in all the years we have used TR. I use P&S and have been fortunate they don't appear to have a problem like some of the other manufacturers.

I explained that you must plug in the device evenly and sometimes a little wiggle helps. Once they got it they were happy. People with arthritis have a much more difficult time with these then others
I've had a few call backs because seniors are having trouble with them.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
New Leviton slim ones
I too have had trouble with Leviton TR GFCI's. Such testimony is only anecdotal evidence that one brand is worse or better.

So what am I supposed to tell them?
To wiggle it or that I replace it for free =0
My neighbour, who is older and has early Parkinson's, did a new addition. TR recpts had to be installed. He had a lot of trouble with them.

Weeks on down the road he invited some guests over for a really good dinner. One of those guests had the tools and parts to retrofit the TR recpts with non-TR.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I tell those that have problems that the plugs may need to be inserted with the prongs against the shutters equally. This may involve rocking the plug in more of an up and down rocking motion rather than a back and forth motion.
I installed some in my own home when they first came out to see and experience the problems I had heard and read about. Really aren't that big of a problem once you get used to them IMO.

nizak

In an unrelated note to the T/R receptacles. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a "tone" style tester that will work on a T/R recep? It was always convenient to just stick the audible type tester in the hot side of the recep and be able to go back to panel(distance permitting) and I.D a circuit. With the T/R shutters you can't.

renosteinke

Nizak, it's a lot harder to use any meter probe!

"All the years" someone has used TR receptacles? Really? The TR is a pretty new design. The older designs don't qualify. Yet, there seems to be plenty of confusion on thiis point ....

I have had a fair amount of trouble with the Leviton ones. I think there are two reasons:
- The first use seems most difficult. Perhaps there is a bit of mold flash that needs to break free; I don't know;
- Otherwise, the problem seems tied to certain appliances. I think the fault may lie with the plugs; I note the prongs are of different sizes.

But, by golly, when they came out with this requirement, skeptics were assured the new TR's were absolutely perfect, that no one would have the slightest problem using them. Call me cynical, but that sounds more like a declaration of faith than a statement of fact.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen non TR type receptacles that are sometimes difficult to insert a plug.

I have also seen receptacles that are worn out and will not hold on to an inserted plug.

I would rather see difficulty with inserting a plug than one that will not even apply enough contact pressure to hold onto a plug.

The TR shutter that is difficult to insert is not quite the same thing but a plug that does not easily move in the receptacle is still usually a more secure connection.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I too have had trouble with Leviton TR GFCI's. Such testimony is only anecdotal evidence that one brand is worse or better.

My neighbour, who is older and has early Parkinson's, did a new addition. TR recpts had to be installed. He had a lot of trouble with them.

Weeks on down the road he invited some guests over for a really good dinner. One of those guests had the tools and parts to retrofit the TR recpts with non-TR.
How do members feel about the customer using a UL-listed multiple tap duplex receptacle plug-in for a situation like this? The receptacle is still TR and no modifications have been made to the building wiring. If there is a concern about too many appliances plugged in, just insert or glue baby guards into 4 of the 6 receptacles.

kwired

Electron manager
How do members feel about the customer using a UL-listed multiple tap duplex receptacle plug-in for a situation like this? The receptacle is still TR and no modifications have been made to the building wiring. If there is a concern about too many appliances plugged in, just insert or glue baby guards into 4 of the 6 receptacles.
If I provide a TR receptacle I have met code. I can't control what gets plugged into a receptacle later on.

dhalleron

Back around September 2012 I installed a new Cooper GFCI in a bathroom of a house I am rehabbing. I only use that outlet to plug in extension cords or battery chargers while I am working on the house. When it was new, it seemed to accept being plugged into just fine. It really hasn't seen a whole lot of use. I mostly plug things in on the weekends when I am there. A few months later and it is getting hard to use. I know how it is supposed to work and I have a hard time with it. I can only imagine how a homeowner will react.

Status
Not open for further replies.