Multiple Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggs007

I have two facilities. One has three 800kV generators connected as SDSs configured as N+1+1. The other facility has two similar make and rating generators also connected as SDSs and configured as N+1. The distance between both facilities is approx. 450 Mtrs.

My question is can we couple generator sets between both facilities providing additional redundancy? If yes, what design changes have to be made? If no, why?

beanland

Need an Engiineer

Need an Engiineer

This is too complex an issue for a forum discussion. Study is needed. You need to work with an experienced engineer.

greggs007

I agree. However, would a feaseability study be worth undertaking not considering time and financial components.

Any known references to closely relevant literature.

Thanks

copper chopper

I have just recently done this, if they are not the same make and model, then this will get very costly, you have to add parts, pull more wires and software. The trick is both generators have to be in sync, all phases have to be aligned. 1 generator is designated as primary or #1 and comes online asap, the other generator may start as soon as the other one does but will not go online untill all phases are in sync.This all has to be engineered and load bank tested.If there 2 different manufactures of generator ( good luck).

greggs007

I have just recently done this, if they are not the same make and model, then this will get very costly, you have to add parts, pull more wires and software. The trick is both generators have to be in sync, all phases have to be aligned. 1 generator is designated as primary or #1 and comes online asap, the other generator may start as soon as the other one does but will not go online untill all phases are in sync.This all has to be engineered and load bank tested.If there 2 different manufactures of generator ( good luck).

Thanks. Can this be done for 03 + 02 Generators all of same make and rating. The distance between two sets is > 400 Mtrs.

templdl

This would be my concern also.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Paralleling Switchgear

Paralleling Switchgear

I have two facilities. One has three 800kV generators connected as SDSs configured as N+1+1. The other facility has two similar make and rating generators also connected as SDSs and configured as N+1. The distance between both facilities is approx. 450 Mtrs.

My question is can we couple generator sets between both facilities providing additional redundancy? If yes, what design changes have to be made? If no, why?

For general questions like this I would contact the Paralleling Switchggear (PSG) division of GE-Zenith Controls (GE Consumer & Industrial.) They can steer you in the right direction.
If you IM me I can give you a number to call.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

Yes, likely possible.

Design Changes? Yes, plenty. Certainly a lot of copper between the sites. And certainly a lot of control conductors (or PLC coax) between the sites.

Feasibility Study worth undertaking? Probably
I would interview the owners/stakeholders and get a clear picture of what they want, expect, and the money available. These are the keys to any job. And the owners are not alway clear - which is okay, that's why they pay us engineers.

One thing you will have to figure out is the expected operating modes. This will have a major impact on the control complexity.

Second, make up a preliminary design spec, listing all you know about the expectations.

As bean said, you are going to need to hire outside engineering with specific experience. Take your preliminary spec to an engineering firm and ask for an estimate for the study only. The installation cost estimate will come later.

QUOTE=copper chopper;1460590]I have just recently done this, if they are not the same make and model, then this will get very costly, you have to add parts, pull more wires and software. The trick is both generators have to be in sync, all phases have to be aligned. 1 generator is designated as primary or #1 and comes online asap, the other generator may start as soon as the other one does but will not go online untill all phases are in sync.This all has to be engineered and load bank tested.If there 2 different manufactures of generator ( good luck).[/QUOTE]

chopper has some good points, but none are that difficult:
If the gens are different, it will be a matter of winding pitch. It will have to be modeled, but generally, it will be a matter of circulating currents reducing available power - generally not a show stopper.

I'm not sure what "phases aligned" means. One has to keep track of phases and rotation during construction - but that is not difficult.

Syncing should not be an issue. Different mfgs, mechanical/electronic governors doesn't matter, equipment is available to provide interface for sync signals. Eventually it will come down to expected operating modes. Eventually someone has to write a Detailed Design Spec.

The outcome from the feasibility study could be just a price to write the Detail Design Spec.

We know very little about your system. For example, we don't know:
existing generator controls (Sync, regulation (F and V, Auto-start, Auto-sync, are just a few)
preferred operating modes - (Vdroop, Fdroop, Isoc, base load, KVar share, KW share are just a few)

One-line - You made an interesting comment about all being SDS. So I am guessing grounded-Wye and 4 pole generator disconnects. If so, odd/unusual but interesting.

As bean said, this is way too complex for a forum discussion. With the information given, there is no way for anyone here to have anything more than minor inklings.

As for the 450 meter distance. It really doesn't matter. That is just part of the economics - eventually the copper and installation get more expensive that buying another generator.

Overall Feasibility: Well, yes - but a large part of what I do involves coercing generators to play nice together. Five 800KW generators is non-trivial, but certainly not complex.

It is an interesting job. Let us know where it goes.

ice

jahounou

Senior Electrical Engineer, PE

Senior Electrical Engineer, PE

It is possible to couple generator sets together to provide additional redundancy. The generator sets and their respective paralleling switchgears have to be from the same manufacturer to facilitate communications and control signals. Emergency paralleling switchgears should be provide with tie-breakers to facilittate synchronization of the systems. Additional information regarding will be needed to accurately design a robust emergency systems for both facilities.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... The generator sets and their respective paralleling switchgears have to be from the same manufacturer to facilitate communications and control signals. ....
I've never seen that. For example, Cat doesn't make anything except engines. They buy the alternators and paint them yellow. I've never seen Cat paralleling switchgear/controls - they probably sell it and I just have never seen it.

New installations:
The generator mfg may supply the sync equipment - or not. Could be supplied by a third party assembler. Lots of outfits make paralleling controls. A few are Schweitzer (SEL), Beckwith, Basler, Woodward. Even if the gen mfg does supply the sync equipment, it will be someone else's equipment installed in a panel with the gen mfg name on it - and likely put together by a third party assembler

The switchgear can be most anybody's. I've used Eaton, SQD, GE, ITE, ABB, and likely plenty of others.

Modifying existing installations:
The gens are rarely all the same, the switchgear is more likely to be the same, the existing sync controls are all over the place. The latter is a headache. The few of those I've worked on required replacing the sync controls. It is important to have the sync controls as similar as possible. They were never the same mfg as the gens and never supplied by the gen mfg.

One of the dumbest I've seen was three lightbulbs and two voltmeters - worked great. Although, about the third time the operator :sick: snapped the turbine/generator coupling shaft, the owner:rant:hired me to install a sync check relay.

ice

copper chopper

The one I did was a cummings set-up at a hospital that already had 1 there and they purchased a used one at on auction. It turned out to be the exact same unit that they already had and for 53, 000 bucks cummings was more than willing to help (sell) all the equipment they needed to have 2 generators. I dont know if we needed all that stuff but it works fine.

__dan

I'll start by saying "I don't know".

If you end up effectively paralleling to a common bus, or two busses with a synchronizing tie breaker, surely doable at some cost, but is it more redundant? The paralleling gear or tie may still present a single point of failure if the topology depends on this. (just guessing)

If you bring two independent feeders to the load with an ATS, that would be redundant to that point. Some of the loads may already be redundant, capacitywise, and those that are not you may want to add redundant loads on the other bus. Loads that are critical and need dual redundant generation, the synched tie breaker may not do that for you if you are loaded on the one side of the tie that gets whacked.

There may be alternate methods to achieve your objective (redundancy at or of the load, since you already have redundant generation at each bus).

Identify the critical loads that require redundancy and identify the single points of failure. Where you need to spend money may come into view. If the paralleling gear on one side of the tie gets whacked, your problem is not insufficient kW capacity, it is getting that kW through the whacked bus and to the load.

Great question, Keep looking for a great solution.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This is not rocket science. There are people who make gear to synch the gensets together. The key is that if you have multiple gensets paralleled only one of them is speed controlled. The other units run in synch with the master unit.

If you can parallel 3 of them in one place and 2 in another, you obviously have most of this stuff in place already.

It is probably not a DIY type project but it is not all that big of a deal.

The whole electrical grid works this way. It is readily available technology.

greggs007

This is not rocket science. There are people who make gear to synch the gensets together. The key is that if you have multiple gensets paralleled only one of them is speed controlled. The other units run in synch with the master unit.

If you can parallel 3 of them in one place and 2 in another, you obviously have most of this stuff in place already.

It is probably not a DIY type project but it is not all that big of a deal.

The whole electrical grid works this way. It is readily available technology.

The people see the grid as an infinite bus. This concept can be applied only when the power grid is sufficiently large. By sufficiently large we mean that the action of any one user or generator would not affect the operation of the grid.

Hence, the two applications being different, we might require different technologies.

Just in case you have any literature or product catalogs to help. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.