Objection: remote transformer located in the closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

unytko

There are two 400WATT/24V magnetic transformers located up high in the back wall of the closet (they supply LV Track Lighting in the LR behind that closet). On the ceiling (in the same area) there is switched duplex receptacle and those two transformers plugged in to it. AHJ gave objection based on section 410.16 "Fixture not properly located in clothes closet"
Could this be based on 410.2 "Closet Storage Space" ?? if yes Would installation of enclosure to cover the "Trafos" make it "kosher" ? BTW - this is not clothes closet as stated in Notice of Objection.

Pic attached.

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• 0214131429.jpg
    0214131429.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
If the space is not a clothes closet, thenit must be an audio / video storage room or controller room. It looks like there might be a panelboard located lower in the wall. If it were a clothes closet, the panel could not be there either. Looks like clearance might be tight if it is a panel. I would have no issues with install.

kwired

Electron manager
Where is the luminaire here that would warrant citing anything in 410? The inspector does not like it and 410.16 is closest thing he can find that supports his opinion. Problem is there is no luminaire here, and that is before even deciding if this is a clothes closet or not.

It may be nice to request some kind of shield or other method to prevent combustible material from coming too close, but there still is no code to cite preventing installation of these transformers.

unytko

If the space is not a clothes closet, thenit must be an audio / video storage room or controller room. It looks like there might be a panelboard located lower in the wall. If it were a clothes closet, the panel could not be there either. Looks like clearance might be tight if it is a panel. I would have no issues with install.

I got four "objections" for this closet: The two that I could understand, may be for the two wall mounted fixtures"Opalux- Lightolier" located on each side of door opening because of huge access panel on the ceiling)- they are not rated as per 410.16 C(5). I figured the other two is for the Trafos

BTW
Panel you see is the TelCom panel for FiOs / data /cable/ distribution.

unytko

Where is the luminaire here that would warrant citing anything in 410? The inspector does not like it and 410.16 is closest thing he can find that supports his opinion. Problem is there is no luminaire here, and that is before even deciding if this is a clothes closet or not.

It may be nice to request some kind of shield or other method to prevent combustible material from coming too close, but there still is no code to cite preventing installation of these transformers.

On each side of the door opening. Fixtures with fluorescent bulbs and class enclosed.

kwired

Electron manager
I got four "objections" for this closet: The two that I could understand, may be for the two wall mounted fixtures"Opalux- Lightolier" located on each side of door opening because of huge access panel on the ceiling)- they are not rated as per 410.16 C(5). I figured the other two is for the Trafos

BTW

How can one cite 410.16 when this is not a clothes closet? 410.16 is titled "Luminaires in clothes closets".

410.2 definition should be changed to indicate it applies to clothes closets IMO, as that is what I feel it really was intended to apply to.

You can have about anything in "other than clothes closets", like say an electrical panel in an "electrical closet".

Smart $

Esteemed Member

BTW
First question that comes to my mind is how is the area established as a closet to begin with?
1clos?et
Pronunciation:
'kl?-zət, 'klȯ-
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French closett, diminutive of clos enclosure ― more at CLOSE
Date:
14th century

1 a : an apartment or small room for privacy b : a monarch's or official's private chamber
2 : a cabinet or recess for especially china, household utensils, or clothing
3 : a place of retreat or privacy
4 : WATER CLOSET
5 : a state or condition of secrecy, privacy, or obscurity <came out of the closet>

unytko

How can one cite 410.16 when this is not a clothes closet? 410.16 is titled "Luminaires in clothes closets".

410.2 definition should be changed to indicate it applies to clothes closets IMO, as that is what I feel it really was intended to apply to.

You can have about anything in "other than clothes closets", like say an electrical panel in an "electrical closet".

kwired,
I wasn't there when inspection took place. I got this two week after.

Attachments

• photo-7 copy.jpg
    photo-7 copy.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this closet in a bedroom? Also are those transformers listed to be cord and plug connected, hard-wired or both?

unytko

No, this closet is located in the Entry Foyer and yes, these transformers are listed for both... "objection" is for location rather then listing ...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One could argue that a closet in an entry foyer will be used as a clothes closet for coats and things.

Status
Not open for further replies.