6" Pop in IC rated recessed lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I'm sure it's okay to cover the lights with blown in insulation. As you know the little pop in brackets that come with them don't hold very well. Is it code compliant to use an additional screw to the nearest wood joice?
I carry 3,4,5 and 6 in screws on the truck that seem to work very well for this method. It really gives the light a tight fit.
I some times even try to get near a joice for this purpose.
Just wondering if what I am already doing is code compliant.
Thanks in advance
Buck

kwired

Electron manager
If you only put screw in one side it may not fall out of the hole, but will not necessarily keep it stable in the hole.

Maybe you buying the wrong lights, most I have ever used the clips hold pretty well, some so well they are a little difficult to install at times.

kbsparky

I prefer to locate remodel cans adjacent to a joist. Makes for a much firmer installation, and not dependent on the integrity of a flimsy piece of drywall.

Buck Parrish

Thanks , yeah, I'm useing IC rated. I'm not ussually to concerned but I'll be installing alot of them this time. Their's alot of 30 year old blown in insulation already in place.

kwired

Electron manager
I prefer to locate remodel cans adjacent to a joist. Makes for a much firmer installation, and not dependent on the integrity of a flimsy piece of drywall.

Flimsy drywall? Take a look at how flimsy the can is compared to one made 20 years ago. Drywall has remained pretty much the same. Maybe installation methods have changed though.

kbsparky

I use Progress P-187TG cans. Much more sturdier than most. Steel cans, NOT flimsy aluminum.

A couple of black drywall screws driven through the side into a joist makes for a permanent installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.