Stripping Large MC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Assuming you mean removing a length of the armor from a terminal end so as to insert in a connector, as Rob said, a hacksaw... or if you are extra, extra cautious, a portaband or an angle grinder with a cut blade (cut slowly to keep heat down).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I like a hacksaw since you can easily control the cut, also with aluminum jacketed MC cable a good hacksaw only requires a few strokes to complete the cut. As Smart stated you could use power tools if you're very careful.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
OK, thanks. All I've ever used is a Rotosplit and mine isn't quite that large;). I figured the hacksaw would be mentioned but just wanted to check to see if there was something else out there I didn't consider.

Speshulk

You mean that you're young. :D

Us old timers only used a hacksaw because back in the days before the rotosplit that's all that you had. :cool:

A couple years ago we were putting the finishing touches on a house where the homeowner had gotten the installation along with the appliances from Sears. I walked into the kitchen to see the installer with a pair of needle nose pliers uncoiling the jacket on the MC that we had run for the dish washer. When I asked what he was doing he gave me a sarcastic, "How else would you do it?" answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.