Service Load Calculation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfloyd

I have a plan for an auto repair shop and they have a single 31600 watt welder but would like to have 4 receptacles at various locations in the shop.
The engineer has calculated each outlet location at 100% in determining the service size and the customer would like to put all 4 outlets on one circuit and figure a single welder load and go with a smaller service.
I don't see a problem with this.
Is this not an acceptable practise?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a plan for an auto repair shop and they have a single 31600 watt welder but would like to have 4 receptacles at various locations in the shop.
The engineer has calculated each outlet location at 100% in determining the service size and the customer would like to put all 4 outlets on one circuit and figure a single welder load and go with a smaller service.

The only problem would be if multiple welders were ever used. I think we have had this discussion before and we were mixed on opinions. Personally I am not sure if it is permitted but it makes sense if only one unit will be used to only calculated it based on that. If the engineer draws a separate circuit then you must go by the signed plans

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Take a look at article 630

kwired

Electron manager
If all four are on one circuit how are you going to overload the service without first overloading the branch circuit?

If you add additional units later then the service calc needs checking to see if you can add the desired load just like it should if adding any other load.

That is the code issues. Issues with the design is not necessarily the same thing as code issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.