sub panel breaker size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykilty

The situation I have is a main 200a panel in a dwelling with a 100amp sub panel that was run for a home work shop. This was done when the home was built. The location of this sub panel makes future wiring very difficult, not only it's location but it was flushed mounted. My question is can i add a 100a two pole breaker to this existing sub or should I find a 90amp breaker. The existing sub panel will still have a load on it that is related to the work shop

jaykilty

subpanel breakers

subpanel breakers

of course customer wont spend the money to run a new line seeing this one was supposed to do the job. AS far as load goes a 40amp air compressor, 30amp table saw , 20amp joiner and a 20amp belt sander all double poles. Oh ya and a 20amp vac system, couple of these feeders are coming out of the existing sub which i will remove and wire properly. Good thing its a one man show

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jay if this is a home shop the probability of more than one piece of equipment being on at a time is very small. That being said the sub panel will still have to handle the load so I do not see why you would add a 100 amp sub panel to the existing sub panel. I am also not sure the sub panel is rated for 100 amps on the bus. I would check that first. Just make sure your load is good with 100 amps

Status
Not open for further replies.