modifying a branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjm 63

I am in the process of upgrading 3 residential sub panels. I am doing no work what so ever to the branch circuits. the inspector tells me that i need to install arc fault circuit breakers on all required circuits . The inspector tells me that changing the panel IS modifying the branch circuits and arc fault breakers are required. No where do i find a definition on a branch circuit modification. The code as i see it says arc faults are required when extending or modifying a branch circuit. how is a panel change a branch circuit modification? I tried to tell the inspector depending on how the building was originally wired that arc faults might not even set in the event they used 3 wire circuits that share a neutral. Any comments greatly appreciated . this project is in CA

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO changing the CB is not modifying the branch circuit. By definition the branch circuit is the conductors after the circuit breaker.

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final
overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s)

CONDUIT

Some areas have amendments that are stricter than the NEC. I am not sure if your part of the country goes strictly with the NEC or if they have a seperate code. Where I am from, here in Missouri some of the jurisdiction are requiring afci breakers be installed on service upgrades. I would be curious though if your jurisdiction is got anything in writing that they require this or is it just the way that the AHJ is interpreting the NEC?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Show the inspector the draft for the 2014 code. IMO, it shows the intent. I made a proposal and it was basically this except that this person put a length on it.

Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit
Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft.) and does not include any additional outlets or devices. [ROP 2?115]

Pjm 63

I have replaced a ton of panels since the arc fault rules have come into play and never once have I been required to provide arc fault protection to existing branch circuits. thank you for all the help. I will argue that branch circuits or any modification of , do not even come into play in the upgrade of a sub panel as per definition of " branch circuit"

Status
Not open for further replies.