Are big generator enclosures covered by NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

al in wi

Are wiring methods and materials inside an enclosed diesel generators covered by NEC or are they defined under NEC 300.1B "integral parts of equipment?

Would it make a difference with size?
A 150kW genset enclosure is the size of a small truck and no one is expected to set foot in it.
while 1500kW generators are as big as trailers and could possible have people climbing inside it.
there are also generator enclosed in a walk in....and i am assuming those would have to be covered by NEC.

I am curious of the first 2 instances though; a small genset enclosure and a non-walk-in genset enclosure

any thoughts.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
IMO, any work done in the field by the EC in any of the situations you mention would have to be NEC compliant. Any wiring cominig factory installed by the manufacture would not be subject NEC requirements.

The above statement is a given so I may be missing the point of your question.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO, any work done in the field by the EC in any of the situations you mention would have to be NEC compliant. Any wiring cominig factory installed by the manufacture would not be subject NEC requirements.

I agree, although there might be a few exceptions here and there like always. I can't think of any off hand.

ceb58

Well I'll be damned, I got one right.:D
But the day is not over:bye:
Are wiring methods and materials inside an enclosed diesel generators covered by NEC or are they defined under NEC 300.1B "integral parts of equipment?
I agree with Chris the only thing inside of the enclose that would fall under the NEC would be the feeders and branch circuit for the charger and heater.

iwire

Staff member
the only thing inside of the enclose that would fall under the NEC would be the feeders and branch circuit for the charger and heater.

Depends. :)

We do some large units that arrive with the entire unit wired from the factory, lighting, chargers, louvers, block heaters etc. these are all tied into a panel that was installed by the factory in the enclosure, all we do is bring in a feeder to this panel.

So in that case the NEC applies to the feeder but not the panel and branch circuits. :)

al in wi

Interesting response, i would have gone the other way and considered any installation inside a genset enclosure is covered by NEC.
To me, I consider the enclosure to be nothing different than a small room built around a generator. But I guess i can also see it as a a really big enclosure and wiring inside a product enclosure is not covered.

iwire

Staff member
Interesting response, i would have gone the other way and considered any installation inside a genset enclosure is covered by NEC.
To me, I consider the enclosure to be nothing different than a small room built around a generator. But I guess i can also see it as a a really big enclosure and wiring inside a product enclosure is not covered.

The size has nothing at all to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.