should i connect the output of digital temperature controller directly to the vfd as

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishdeshmuk

should i connect the output of digital temperature controller directly to the vfd as a frequency reference or frequency reference command (where we usually connect potentiometer to increase or decrease the speed of a vfd and hence of the motor) ?

Want to control the temperature of the water in such a way that when water is more hotter and more warmer then with the help of vfd the motor (blower/blower fan/cooling fan ) runs faster to maintain almost the same temperature all the time and if its slight warmer then with the help of vfd the motor (blower/blower fan/cooling fan ) runs slower the water flows through the pipe so that the bus bars that are used for induction furnace remains cool not very hot so thay they could damage themselves.

Although there is cooling tower but sometimes we need to shut off the cooling tower because of the cooled down temperature so need to turn on and turn off every now and again and most importantly the cooling tower if not a suitable application to cool down a very hot water. It just practically cools down 10 degree celsius temperature.

i am planning to use a VFD (ABB ACS 800) with a RTD (PT 100) and a digital temperature controller to achieve the desired temperature .

kwired

Electron manager
I must use analog output voltage 0 to +10V .... but if its 4 to 20 mA then what to do ?

I didn't purchase any of the digital temperature controller yet

thanks

Either works, you just need two devices that both use the same method. I think most VFD's will accept either type of input, you just need to set parameters for what you intend to use.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The advice you got from other posters is sound.

I am not real sure what it is that you are trying to do though. Are you trying to change the fan speed on the blower at the cooling tower?

usually this kind of application would work by varying the amount of cooling water flow, either via a VFD controlled pump or just a control valve.

Crohnos01

I am not sure I understand what your control parameters are either. In either case, you will need to establish your dead band and I would presume a PID loop. Water temperature is going to be a slow reaction medium and so i would expect a slow loop control. What are you going to to do at setpoint? If you are controlling a pump, your probably not going to have a linear temp vs pump speed graph.

should i connect the output of digital temperature controller directly to the vfd as a frequency reference or frequency reference command (where we usually connect potentiometer to increase or decrease the speed of a vfd and hence of the motor) ?

Want to control the temperature of the water in such a way that when water is more hotter and more warmer then with the help of vfd the motor (blower/blower fan/cooling fan ) runs faster to maintain almost the same temperature all the time and if its slight warmer then with the help of vfd the motor (blower/blower fan/cooling fan ) runs slower the water flows through the pipe so that the bus bars that are used for induction furnace remains cool not very hot so thay they could damage themselves.

Although there is cooling tower but sometimes we need to shut off the cooling tower because of the cooled down temperature so need to turn on and turn off every now and again and most importantly the cooling tower if not a suitable application to cool down a very hot water. It just practically cools down 10 degree celsius temperature.

i am planning to use a VFD (ABB ACS 800) with a RTD (PT 100) and a digital temperature controller to achieve the desired temperature .

You DON'T need a temperature controller, it is built into the ASC800 drives. You need an RTD and a cheap, hokeypuck transmitter, calibrate it to whatever temperature range you need to.
OMEGA is your friend in getting the best deals on temperature control hardware.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/PR-20.html
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=TX91A_92A&Nav=temn03
Why do you need an ACS800? Are you sure an ASC550 won't do the job? It is less costly and still have a lot of capability.
If you don't have experience in setting up a P&ID controller in the drive a decent supplier house can help you out with that or even the ABB hotline.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You DON'T need a temperature controller, it is built into the ASC800 drives. You need an RTD and a cheap, hokeypuck transmitter, calibrate it to whatever temperature range you need to.
OMEGA is your friend in getting the best deals on temperature control hardware.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/PR-20.html
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=TX91A_92A&Nav=temn03
Why do you need an ACS800? Are you sure an ASC550 won't do the job? It is less costly and still have a lot of capability.
If you don't have experience in setting up a P&ID controller in the drive a decent supplier house can help you out with that or even the ABB hotline.

I almost suggested that route, but the problem with it is having to get to the keyboard on the drive to set tuning parameters and look at the temperature. Most drives are not especially suited to doing that. usually it is much easier to work from a dedicated controller.

I almost suggested that route, but the problem with it is having to get to the keyboard on the drive to set tuning parameters and look at the temperature. Most drives are not especially suited to doing that. usually it is much easier to work from a dedicated controller.

I would rather get the monitoring setup software on a laptop, especially for the ACS series, where not only can look at ALL the P&ID parameters, but can trend them. It's a one-shot expense and you can have it for future and other use, while you have already paid for the controller and any other controller would be just the extra expense with less monitoring capability - and dedicated to THAT machine - and all the other functions the the software provides.

danishdeshmuk

I would rather get the monitoring setup software on a laptop, especially for the ACS series, where not only can look at ALL the P&ID parameters, but can trend them. It's a one-shot expense and you can have it for future and other use, while you have already paid for the controller and any other controller would be just the extra expense with less monitoring capability - and dedicated to THAT machine - and all the other functions the the software provides.

which parameters are need to be set and parameterize in ACS800 ?

Actually my boss already purchases the drive ACS800 so don't know whether ACS550 would do the job or not ?

Where to connect (at which terminals) the output of the transmitter on the ACS800 Drive ?

And if use a PID controller then where to connect the output of PID controller on ACS800 Drive ?

Also there are digital temperature controllers which have PID output so use those type of digital temperature controllers OR use digital temperature controllers and also the PID with the digital temperature controller ?

thanks

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Actually my boss already purchases the drive ACS800 so don't know whether ACS550 would do the job or not ?

Where to connect (at which terminals) the output of the transmitter on the ACS800 Drive ?

And if use a PID controller then where to connect the output of PID controller on ACS800 Drive ?

Also there are digital temperature controllers which have PID output so use those type of digital temperature controllers OR use digital temperature controllers and also the PID with the digital temperature controller ?

thanks

I hate to be rough on you, but have you tried reading the installation manual for the VFD?

thanks

Read the manual, it is available from the ABB website.

You are connecting the RTD to the transmitter, then the transmitter to the ACS800 analog input. The P&ID is internal to the ACS800.

READ THE MANUAL, or I will start charging you!;)

As I said the ABB distributors usually have qualified staff on board to help you with startup, in some cases it is included in the required services that ABB makes a condition to sell the drive. On the back of the book there is an ABB number that you can call. They will be helpful during normal business hours, but will charge you if you cal off-hours or getting into basic stuff. READ THE MANUAL before calling them.

kwired

Electron manager

And with the software you likely can access it from practically anywhere in the world if you choose to connect it to a network with internet access. You can troubleshoot from home:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.