How to make (build) ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) ? I want to switch off my genera

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Yeah, we are spoiled with the reliability of our system. I had a customer who wanted a UPS unit large enough to run his house in the Cayman Islands due to the constant brown and blackouts. The power fluctuated so much everyday, that a generator was not feasible.

A generator is always feasible, just not cost-effective.

If the local authorities will tolerate it, solar is a great solution in the Caribbean. Trouble is, on many of the islands there's a contract with a company to provide completely unreliable power at utterly outrageous prices. I had a client on Tortola who paid $0.45 / kWh base plus another $0.50 / kWh fuel surcharge at the time.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A generator is always feasible, just not cost-effective.

If the local authorities will tolerate it, solar is a great solution in the Caribbean. Trouble is, on many of the islands there's a contract with a company to provide completely unreliable power at utterly outrageous prices. I had a client on Tortola who paid $0.45 / kWh base plus another $0.50 / kWh fuel surcharge at the time.

The problem with the generator it would have to run 24/7, along with the noise it creates. Not something that someone who could afford a nice home there would put up with.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
The problem with the generator it would have to run 24/7, along with the noise it creates. Not something that someone who could afford a nice home there would put up with.

There are plenty of generators that run quiet enough to be tolerable, and the 24/7 requirement isn't a requirement -- a hybrid system with batteries, inverters, some PV and a generator is quite workable. Once you switch from generator power to inverter power as the prime source of electricity, the generator can be sized to provide the maximum charging current rather than the maximum load.

It's the big diesel generators that make a racket. Definitely wouldn't want one of them near my own little slice of paradise.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
D -
... OR is merely impossible ?
No, it is not impossible.

First decide your goal:
Are you trying to build one? Are you trying to learn about design that may also have a practical application? If this is just an excercise in learning, that is completely different from buying parts and laying out a control cabinet.

So which one is the best option to achieve the ATS for portable home generator ? ...
I want to switch off my generator's output power & switch on the electricity (provided by the Govt) when the electricity shortage (outage) is over. ...

... i want to completely shut off the generator then

Put together your Design Document listing your specs.
Here's a sample. Probably not what you want - just a place to start.

Assuming gen has an ignition switch, manual start, no battery. All transfers are Open Transition
  1. Power fail sequence:
  2. Utility power fails
  3. manually start gen
  4. Gen running (voltage on output terminals) interlocks out utility contactor
  5. manually energize gen contactor. Also interlock utility utility contactor.
Recovery to Utility sequence:
  1. utility power comes up. Start timer to avoid flickering power at Utility comming back on line. (30 sec - 2 min maybe?)
  2. Timer opens gen ignition circuit
  3. Gen voltage falls to 0 (zero)V. Opens gen contactor.
  4. Gen off 0 Volts, Gen contactor open, Close utility contactor.

Voltage : 220 V single phase
Phases : Single Phase
Frequency : 50 Hz
KVA : Peak Power 2800 Watt and Rated Power 2500 Watt
Power Factor : 0.85
Component specs:
The gen output is 13A peak, 16A at 125%. 20A contactors will be fine for the gen and utility. Probably need 3-5 ice cube relay and a timer.

Or maybe 2 - 2pole, 20 contactors and smart relay, IDEC makes some - throughly programmable.

Need a cabinet, terminals.
Provide for grounding, provide for SDS, Non-SDS. I don't know Indian code, so I can't comment on that.
CB for the Gen main, if it doesn't,

This is just some suggestions You get to be the engineer of record - start with an engineering pad and a handful of pencils

Let us know how it goes.

ice

kwired

Electron manager
It's the big diesel generators that make a racket. Definitely wouldn't want one of them near my own little slice of paradise.

It is a little more dependent on how much load there is and other factors that may determine if the diesel powered unit is the way to go. True the more it is going to run maybe the less desirable the diesel may be. If it is not going to run much, it could be the easiest and reasonable cost method to pack the most power into a smaller unit, but not necessarily the most efficient.

iceworm

Occupation
It is a little more dependent on how much load there is and other factors that may determine if the diesel powered unit is the way to go. True the more it is going to run maybe the less desirable the diesel may be. If it is not going to run much, it could be the easiest and reasonable cost method to pack the most power into a smaller unit, but not necessarily the most efficient.
Comment limited to residential

Is this a mis-type? Hope so.

Long hours = diesel and sloooowww turning is the best. (I don't have an data on NG) Any place up here that is long hurs is also off-grid and doesn't have NG.

The best I ever saw was a Whitey (sp?). I think about 25KW, 900 rpm. Truely a thing of beauty
pop-pop-pop-pop
big liquid cooled radiator (used to heat the outbuildings)​

Owner said he had it rebuilt at about 80Khrs ~ about 10 years

ice

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Comment limited to residential

Is this a mis-type? Hope so.

Long hours = diesel and sloooowww turning is the best. (I don't have an data on NG) Any place up here that is long hurs is also off-grid and doesn't have NG.

The best I ever saw was a Whitey (sp?). I think about 25KW, 900 rpm. Truely a thing of beauty
pop-pop-pop-pop
big liquid cooled radiator (used to heat the outbuildings)​

Owner said he had it rebuilt at about 80Khrs ~ about 10 years

ice
No mistype. Some only think of diesel engines as being big and noisy. Though true a lot of the time there are some small motors that are fairly quiet. There are also gasoline powered engines that are pretty noisy as well. Design of exhaust system can also make a big difference. I do believe that in general diesel will last longer and can deliver more power than a similar sized gas engine. Why would the truck industry and heavy machinery not be dominated by diesel power units if this were not true?

danishdeshmuk

Its a gasoline (Petrol) engine ... but we used to start it with petrol and then convert it into natural gas (methane gas) and on load it runs of natural gas not on the petrol ...

the generator has both the start ups with the coil and with the key , it has battery etc

Besoeker

How to make (build) ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) ?
I want to switch off my generator's output power & switch on the electricity (provided by the Govt) when the electricity shortage (outage) is over . Can i make that circuit ?

Here's an arrangement I did a a couple of years ago for about a dozen we built. Not our normal area but just part of a bigger project placed by a customer to keep it with one supplier.

COS12.jpg

It's three phase but you could easily adapt it for single phase.

iceworm

Occupation
No mistype. Some only think of diesel engines as being big and noisy. Though true a lot of the time there are some small motors that are fairly quiet. There are also gasoline powered engines that are pretty noisy as well. Design of exhaust system can also make a big difference. I do believe that in general diesel will last longer and can deliver more power than a similar sized gas engine. Why would the truck industry and heavy machinery not be dominated by diesel power units if this were not true?

kw -
All true.

May I gently suggest you read your post again and mine as well.

ice

iceworm

Occupation
Its a gasoline (Petrol) engine ... but we used to start it with petrol and then convert it into natural gas (methane gas) and on load it runs of natural gas not on the petrol ...

the generator has both the start ups with the coil and with the key , it has battery etc

Okay - sounds good

Your turn to get on with the design. You have enough hints to proceed.

Let us know. I'm interested in your solutions/design.

ice

templdl

What what I understand it has recommended to go with contactors. However I woulod suggest that a mechanical inlk be added such that electrical inlk is not solely depended upon such as a walking beam intl.
A mech Intl will prevent both contactors to be cloased at the same time.

Besoeker

What what I understand it has recommended to go with contactors. However I woulod suggest that a mechanical inlk be added such that electrical inlk is not solely depended upon such as a walking beam intl.
A mech Intl will prevent both contactors to be cloased at the same time.
The circuit I presented had mechanical as well as electrical interlocks between the contactors.
It's practical and a bunch of them are in service.

templdl

The circuit I presented had mechanical as well as electrical interlocks between the contactors.
It's practical and a bunch of them are in service.

Very good.
We used contactor type transfer switches in only the smaller xfr switches and mccb breaker types for the

Larger ones up to 1200A and insulated case breakers for the larger ones in the 2500A sizes. I have also personally upgraded trip units in the insulated case transfer switches as well as rewired the control wiring for (2) 2000A to change the E and N around and upgraded the electronic trip units in (2) 2500A ATSs in a telecommunications facility which the emergency supply was huge diesel generators.
Yes, my experience goes back to 30yrs while working for a major MTS/ATS mtr. The majority of our designs were breaker types ASCO's are the contactor types, both of which have their advantages and disadvantages. The were a fun product to sell and work with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.