service submerge in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

I got a call from customer saying that poco inspector is requiring to change all breaker of a 24 multimeter stack service, the main 400 Amps and the 24 main breaker for the apartment. The electrical service was out for 2 weeks during Sandy but the put back the power on this property without knowing that it was flooded, (service is on a basement, maybe that's why) I called city inspector he said to change all breakers and to clean the bus bars and we don't have to change the whole service and there is a cleaning solution for this situation. Anyone knows what solution this might be?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't do anything other than replace the whole meterstack unless Sq D gives their blessing IN WRITING that changing breakers and cleaning the buss is good enough. Burning a service down with apartments full of people is not a chance you want to take.

mtnelectrical

You know what Square D gave the blessing, but to change everything, lol. They would not recommend any cleaning, I spoke with engineering dpt and said that "some people" try to make decisions base on their knowledge, which sometime are very different from theirs. Now I have to talk to city inspector again and let him know the manufacture's position about this. Hmm, that is gonna be tough : And the owner is going to be very sad, because he just wanted me to change the breakers.

templdl

You may fond this publication to be helpfull:
NEMA Re. Evaluating Water-Damaged Electrical. Equipmenthttp://www.nema.org/Standards/ComplimentaryDocuments/Evaluating-Water-damaged-Electrical-Equipment.pdf

GUNNING

DUH!

DUH!

I'm sure the owners would like you to do a minimum at a severely discounted rate. Breakers would be a minimum fix so get a release from further damage and be specific on what you fixed and why, in your contract. If it was submerged I would think the corrosive and conductive materials in the liquids (raw sewage) and the subsequent chemical clean up, would be enough to compromise the service equipment. Wear gloves so you don't get a really bad infection and charge accordingly (like a plumber would). Might want to get a warranty company to cover any subsequent damage.
If they are going for the insurance fraud you should have many deep pockets to draw from besides yours.:dunce:

mtnelectrical

Allright. All said and done. City inpector said that manufacturers recomendations supersedes any other ones. Explained the customer and he agreed with the descision, by the way I've had to email to inspector and owner all info from Square D. This is the picture.

Attachments

• 2013-03-01_12-00-09_976.jpg
    2013-03-01_12-00-09_976.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Allright. All said and done. City inpector said that manufacturers recomendations supersedes any other ones. Explained the customer and he agreed with the descision, by the way I've had to email to inspector and owner all info from Square D. This is the picture.

Betcha the utility does not replace all of those meters!:roll:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd say that depends on how comparable the new meter stack is to the old one. If the old feeders don't reach, are you splicing all/most of them? That would play a big part in labor.

mtnelectrical

The new EZM from Square D are 95% the same. the only difference is the location of the breakers. In the new models intead of being at the 6 o'clock of the meter is at 9:00 o'clock, which is better beacuse the feeders are coming from the top.

mlnk

What about the wires? some AHJ allow you to use submerged wires if you megger them first. Others say that if the wire is for dry locations only...its toast....soggy toast!

Status
Not open for further replies.