320 amp meter and disconnect grouping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I want to install a 320 meterbase on the exterior of a home (on the garage). 200 amp panel will go in the home and the other 200 amp panel will go about 100 feet away in a seperate building. Is this allowed? Not sure if the grouping of disconnects comes into play when the disconnects are in seperate buildings.

Thanks

hurk27

Welcome to the forum

You only need to group disconnects at each structure served, if this garage is not attached to the house then 230.40 Exception 3 allows just what you wish to do, you only need a 3-conductor feed as these are still service conductors and you treat the panel at the house as you would a service, just without the meter can, you must use double lugs on the load side of the meter as you cant land both sets in the same lug.

In fact since this second set of service entrance conductors do not enter the garage you do not even need a disconnect at the garage for the SEC's going to the house:

It clearly say's "in" so if they do not enter the building , no disconnect is required
230.70 General. Means shall be provided to disconnect all
conductors in a building or other structure from the service entrance
conductors.

Many also get hung up on 230.71 and think it says that each service requires disconnects at the meter, but it doesn't say that, if it did 230.40 exception 3 would be meaningless:

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each
service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service entrance
conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1,
3, 4, or 5,
shall consist of not more than six switches or sets
of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six
switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single
enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a
switchboard. There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects
per service grouped in any one location.

So in essences we can see it requires no more then 6 means of disconnect at the house and the same at the garage.

Here is a quote from the hand book:
Exception No. 3 to 230.40 permits a second set of service entrance
conductors supplied by a single service drop or lateral
at a single-family dwelling unit to also supply another
building on the premises, such as a garage or storage shed.
The utility meters may be grouped at one location but in this
application, the service disconnecting means are not required
to be grouped at one location. A service disconnecting
means at the dwelling and at the other building is
acceptable where this exception is used

I do these types of installs all the time here in Indiana.

Last edited:

crtemp

The garage is attached to the house, but the shop (where the other 200 amp panel is going to go) is not. This should be okay right? I think I worded my original post wrong. I think I'm still okay to do it based on your reply but just making sure.

Thanks so much

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The garage is attached to the house, but the shop (where the other 200 amp panel is going to go) is not. This should be okay right? I think I worded my original post wrong. I think I'm still okay to do it based on your reply but just making sure.

Thanks so much

Yes you can install the meter at the house and have one 200 amp at the house and the other at the remote structure.

RHWilks

I am thinking of doing the same thing at my house with the 320 meter base, one 200 amp feeding the house, the other 200 amp feeding the shop. My question is about the grounding, you would do that at the first point of overcurrent/disconnect. Do you treat each feeder like 2 differnt 200 amp services? and ground/bond each at the disconnect? or do you treat it like a 400 amp service for the grounding conductor sizing? If I am reading this correctly, I can run 3 wire <in my case I have some 250 alum pre-loaded in poly from the power compay. > that I would like to run. depending on where you put the disconnects, depends on how your ground/bond system is contructed?

hurk27

I am thinking of doing the same thing at my house with the 320 meter base, one 200 amp feeding the house, the other 200 amp feeding the shop. My question is about the grounding, you would do that at the first point of overcurrent/disconnect. Do you treat each feeder like 2 different 200 amp services? and ground/bond each at the disconnect? or do you treat it like a 400 amp service for the grounding conductor sizing? If I am reading this correctly, I can run 3 wire <in my case I have some 250 alum pre-loaded in poly from the power company. > that I would like to run. depending on where you put the disconnects, depends on how your ground/bond system is constructed?

If these two buildings are not attached to each other then yes they are infact service conductors and 230.40 exception 3 applies, grounding and bonding apply to each building served as two separate grounding electrode systems and do not require to be bonded together, with this type of install you only need one service disconnect at each structure served.

The Idea here is the NEC will require a disconnect at each building even if you feed it from a breaker in the house panel, also the NEC will require a grounding electrode system at each building no matter which way you feed it (if over one circuit of course), so this method not only eliminates the load being placed upon the house panel but also eliminates the requirements of running a EGC between the two buildings as well as saving on a breaker/disconnect at the house for the out building.

TonyEEINC

Fighting AHJ on service just like discribed.

Fighting AHJ on service just like discribed.

I am having to go to the board for the city of Edmond in OK. to fight for this install.
I have a newer home 2yrs or less, with 200amp meter base, back to back with the 200amp mb panel in the attached garage.
The owner built a new detached (100ft away) garage.
The electric service company wanted $2000 to provide a second meter at the building.
The ower elected to hire me to upgrade the meter base to a 320amp, Re-feed the existing home panel, and feed 150amp underground second tap from the meter to a MB panel in the building.
I have been rejected, sighting grouping of disconnets.
I showed him the exception 230.40 Seperate service conductors serving a seperate building.
He took this to his boss, who denied the install as well, I will be have to post a non-refundable escrow fee, and present arguments, if unsucessful they keep the escrow funds.
Any pictures of installs would help, or info I can take with me.
Thank you

hurk27

I am having to go to the board for the city of Edmond in OK. to fight for this install.
I have a newer home 2yrs or less, with 200amp meter base, back to back with the 200amp mb panel in the attached garage.
The owner built a new detached (100ft away) garage.
The electric service company wanted $2000 to provide a second meter at the building.
The owner elected to hire me to upgrade the meter base to a 320amp, Re-feed the existing home panel, and feed 150amp underground second tap from the meter to a MB panel in the building.
I have been rejected, sighting grouping of disconnects.
I showed him the exception 230.40 Separate service conductors serving a separate building.
He took this to his boss, who denied the install as well, I will be have to post a non-refundable escrow fee, and present arguments, if unsuccessful they keep the escrow funds.
Any pictures of installs would help, or info I can take with me.
Thank you

If you print a copy of post # 2 and show them this that they may understand, also ask if they have amended the codes I presented in the NEC by law that would change what the NEC allows.

I'm not sure if if Oklahoma has a state wide code where you can receive an official state interpretation to over ride the local interpretation, as you will have to contact the state and find out who you need to contact, here in Indiana we have a state wide code system and it doesn't allow a local unit of government to adopt local codes that are in conflict with the state code as adopted, every state will be different depending on how their law is written.

One of the few common mistakes inspectors make is they try to treat the meter base as service equipment, it is not service equipment, it is nothing more then a wide point in the service entrance conductors, the conductors leaving the meter base are in fact service entrance conductors and 230.40 exception #3 applies as I have stated in post #2, also they think that these conductors require a disconnect after a meter, what they don't read the word "IN" when they read 230.70, the NEC only requires a disconnect on service entrance conductors when they enter a building or other structure, since these conductors do not enter the building a disconnect is not required at the meter location for the ones going to the other building if they do not enter the building where the meter is located, also the grouping of disconnects is only required at each building served, if we look at 230.71(A) at the end of the paragraph it clearly says "at any one location, this means if you install multiple disconnects at the house then they have to be grouped, if you install multiple disconnect at the garage they have to be grouped, but the disconnect for the garage (which is required to be located at the garage by 230.70(A) is not required to be grouped with the house disconnect as it would be impossible with the garage remote from the house, if you look at the graphic exhibit 230.14 (top right on page 158) in the 2011 hand book, it takes this message home, again look at the quote from the NEC hand book I posted in post #2 while The commentary and supplementary materials in the handbook are not a part of the NFPA NEC Document and do not constitute Formal Interpretations of the NFPA, they do offer inside info as to what the code means, and the hand book is published by NFPA as the writers and editors of it are part of the code making panels who also decide on the code changes.

As I'm not in your state, it will be up to you to present this to your code official you are dealing with, but make sure you understand what the code say's and why, as it will make it easier to present if you have a clear understanding of it.

I feel for you if you state doesn't have a state wide code as then you will have to convince these local inspectors what the code say's and if they are not open to comment then it makes it that much harder and may even require litigation to get them to enforce the law as it is written.

If you can't convince them of what the code say's then you have two options, take them to court as I have done in the past, or install it as they wish, but complying with their interpretation might be better then the court route depending upon how much a lawyer will charge, as all you have to do is install two disconnects at the meter, change both the house and garage panel to meet the requirements of being a sub panel and run a 4-wire feeder to the garage, also the grounding electrode conductors for the house will have to land in the new disconnect for the house, as well as keeping grounding and neutrals separate in these subpanels.

Myself I have learned to pick my battles but I have taken a couple of cities here to court and won every time, this was back before we had state wide codes as now our state will go to battle for us and if the local inspection department ignore the state AHJ's ruling (official interpretation) then the state has the power to dissolve the local building departments authority to do inspections, in most cases the state can ask the city or county involved to require the removal of the offending inspector, but again that is here in Indiana so your laws can vary.

hurk27

Ok I did a little searching and found that OK. does have a state wide uniform building codes, and can be found HERE

It also has phone numbers you can call, I read through some of the laws and while they claim uniform building codes, it seems they still allow local units of government to adopt variances, so much for the uniform:roll:, But I would call them and ask if Oklahoma has adopted any changes to 230.40 or its exceptions, and explain that you have a local building officials rejecting an installation that has been allowed in the NEC for years (230.40 Exception #3)

If the NEC required you to put a disconnect at the house (meter end) then you would no longer have service entrance conductors running to the garage as stated in 230.40 exception #3 as they would now be feeders and be subject to article 225, so how could 230.40 Exception #3 ever be used if this was so?

Also ask then since electrical codes have to be adopted as law, if such building department has not adopted any changes to 230.40 Exception 3 how can they enforce a code that was not adopted by law, then ask them if they have a procedure for the state to intervene on the contractors behalf like an official interpretation.

Also very important! Never be rude or aggressive when dealing with state officers, it never gets you very far, always say your acting on behalf of your customers and trying to protect their rights and trying to keep the cost of the job down by doing it in an NEC code compliant manner.

Hope this can be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.