Calculating voltage drop on a 40 HP well pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kledford

I have to install a feeder to power a 40 HP. 3 phase, 480v well pump. Here are the specs.
1. Length of run 1300 ft.
2. Direct buried aluminum cable from service to well.
3. F.L.A =61. amps
4. Using a electronic soft-start.
5.S.F. 1.15
6. Pump is 460V. utility voltage is 480V.
I came up with #250MCM aluminum. Do I have to calculate the locked-rotor current when doing these calculations?
Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
You need to determine what % of drop you want to have, and at what point do you want it to apply. You likely want a value based on FLA, but also need to consider starting current, though a soft start control mostly negates the need to consider starting current.

On a long run like you have, power factor correction does make significant difference in running current/running voltage drop.

I have to install a feeder to power a 40 HP. 3 phase, 480v well pump. Here are the specs.
1. Length of run 1300 ft.
2. Direct buried aluminum cable from service to well.
3. F.L.A =61. amps
4. Using a electronic soft-start.
5.S.F. 1.15
6. Pump is 460V. utility voltage is 480V.
I came up with #250MCM aluminum. Do I have to calculate the locked-rotor current when doing these calculations?
Thanks.
Enter values in yellow boxes (only!) for AC voltage drop calculation Three Phase Three-Wire Circuits

Drop (30?C) = 2K x L x I X p.f./D =(42.4x1300x61X0.84)/211600=13.35 volts drop 2.78%
Enter12.9 for >50%A or 11 for <50%A for Copper
21.2 for Aluminum21.2
Enter wire size (with slash) (i.e.. 12/, 1/, 2/0, 500/ - see Table)4/0
D = Conductor cross section (Automatically inserted)211600cm
One way length of conductors in feet =1300ft
Total full load circuit current = 61A
Circuit Voltage =480V
Power Factor =0.84

fini

Last edited:

Crohnos01

Do I remember a NEC requirement on single motor circuits for a 125% amp multiplier or was that just for over current protection calcs? (I don't have the code in front of me at the moment)

kwired

Electron manager
Do I remember a NEC requirement on single motor circuits for a 125% amp multiplier or was that just for over current protection calcs? (I don't have the code in front of me at the moment)

125% multiplier is for minimum conductor ampacity and has nothing to do with voltage drop or overcurrent protection.

Motor overload protection is often 115% of nameplate full load current.

Short circuit and ground fault protection can be well above full load current depending on type of protective device used. Most common is 175% for most time delay fuses and 250% for typical inverse time circuit breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.