Appropriate tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Hi, guys. Is there a section in the code that makes electricians to use suitable and appropriate tools for the installation they are working on? I'm in NYC and we have an ongoing dispute between electricians who use tin snips to cut and trim AC wire (bx) with guys who use Roto Split (bx cutter).

brian john

No and what is wrong with tin snips?

Hacksaws and tin snips were utilized long before RotoZips were made.

Lastly do you trust these guys to terminate conductors? If they can terminate a 4000 amp 480 VAC service they sure as heck should be able figure out what is the most efficent method to skin MC, that works for them.

jeremysterling

Here in Austin there is a local amendment to the NEC by city ordinance that requires MC to be stripped using a "rotosplit".

In San Antonio, the city requires MC installers to carry a city-issued certification card that allows them to strip MC with a "rotosplit" and install it. The city also requires the installer to "calibrate" his rotosplit monthly.

masterinbama

Here in Austin there is a local amendment to the NEC by city ordinance that requires MC to be stripped using a "rotosplit".

In San Antonio, the city requires MC installers to carry a city-issued certification card that allows them to strip MC with a "rotosplit" and install it. The city also requires the installer to "calibrate" his rotosplit monthly.

I for one would need to see that one in writing.

hmspe

Occupation
PE

I would like to see this in writing, too. The Austin NEC ordinance at the City web site does not mention "rotosplit". The San Antonio ordinance requires the use of a "rotosplit" for MC but does not mention a certification card or calibration.

brian john

Because they have a stake in Roto Split or they think everyone is stupid?:lol: DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD almost.

Do they make them cal their DMM's. their torques wrenches if not rthere are stupid times Pi.

Status
Not open for further replies.