Spray foam around IC rated Recess

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

Apparently, issues with spray foam insulation & thermal protectors have been on the increase. Does anyone know of any recess can manufacture that prohibits the use of spray foam insulation around their IC Rated Recess ? I have documents from a few of them that recommend not using spray foam.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I cannot see how you can spray the foam around a recessed can as you will not be able to access the wiring compartment from down below. I told my builders that I won't do it

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Dennis.

If you use a spray foam insulation in direct contact with an IC rated can you will render the J-box inaccessible.

Chris

mwm1752

I appreciate you pointing out the obvious. Most ceilings in my juristiction dealing with energy codes will have 5 1/2" of spray foam coupled with a R19 batt. Generally the spray foam never comes in contact with the j box. With more stringent energy codes occuring spray foam insulation is needed to achieve the proper R value. Saying don't do it because I said so is not an option when dealing with other codes. The real substance of the question was to collect information on manufactures that may have addressed the altered function of the thermal device due to the close cell insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.