output signal or voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What is the output voltage of the smoke alarm that triggers the other units?

Thanks?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I found it here after a basic search.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=142644

So the output signal voltage is 9V. Here is what the customer did and i doubt the inspector saw it.

They used 14-2 instead of 14-3 between the smoke alarms and used the EGC as the signal wire. The insepector just tested the smoke alarms and they operated properly, but did not check in the boxes for 14-3 or check in the attic space for proper installation.

what a hack job, did not want to pay me to do it correctly. The inspector did not do his job to check for proper wiring and installation :rant::rant: and I look like the rip off artist because the customer thinks that his installation is as good as mine.

GerryB

I agree that is a hack job, but it raises a question. A few years ago in the continuing ed class we are required to take here in CT. (maybe everywhere?) the interconnect on smokes came up and the instructor said if it was an older system that wasn't interconnected you could run a separate wire like a thhn to each smoke to connect them instead of rewiring with 14-3. So your situation made me think if it's all plastic boxes, no ground anywhere, could you use that bare wire for the interconnect? Just a thought, still a hack job. Did the EI do a rouigh inspection?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
So your situation made me think if it's all plastic boxes, no ground anywhere, could you use that bare wire for the interconnect? Just a thought, I was wondering about that as well. still a hack job. Did the EI do a rouigh inspection?

Yes but not in detail. They don't go into the crawl or the attic, space. In my opinion the rough or the final inspection is worthless. I have already complained to one of the local cities but i have not heard back.

jumper

Yes but not in detail. They don't go into the crawl or the attic, space. In my opinion the rough or the final inspection is worthless. I have already complained to one of the local cities but i have not heard back.

And your point is: That you did something wrong and got away with it, but it is someone else's fault because you were not caught?:?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
And your point is: That you did something wrong and got away with it, but it is someone else's fault because you were not caught?:?

I never said i did the installation.

I gave the customer a quote of installing new wiring and inerconnecting 5 smoke alarms. They said it is too much we will do it ourselves or have the GC do it. The inspection passed last week and today I had to go back to other work in the attic and that is what I saw they had done.

They (customer or GC) installed 2 conductor NM cable between the smoke alarms, no strapping, just all over the place. The inspector does not open up the junction boxes to see if the proper wiring type is installed, he doesn't check in the attic how the wiring is installed and the home owner got away with crapy work and he is happy that inspection is passed.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
No, you did not, I mis interpreted your post and I apologise.:ashamed1:

I missed this in your OP:

:slaphead::slaphead::slaphead:

Sorry.

I reread your post and I totally blew it.

Can not accept apology without a beer. :happyno:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Are you "positive" that it's 14-2. I started to call a guy on something like that the other day and turned out that it was flat 14-3, not round like I normally see.

As for the strapping and not climbing in the attic. Yeah, he should have looked at that.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Are you "positive" that it's 14-2. I started to call a guy on something like that the other day and turned out that it was flat 14-3, not round like I normally see.

As for the strapping and not climbing in the attic. Yeah, he should have looked at that.

100 % positive it was a 2 conductor nm cable.

So, what is the code violation on this?

kwired

Electron manager
I never said i did the installation.

I gave the customer a quote of installing new wiring and inerconnecting 5 smoke alarms. They said it is too much we will do it ourselves or have the GC do it. The inspection passed last week and today I had to go back to other work in the attic and that is what I saw they had done.

They (customer or GC) installed 2 conductor NM cable between the smoke alarms, no strapping, just all over the place. The inspector does not open up the junction boxes to see if the proper wiring type is installed, he doesn't check in the attic how the wiring is installed and the home owner got away with crapy work and he is happy that inspection is passed.

Does inspector know you did not do the installation? Maybe he did not look too hard because he saw some of your other work and figured you were competent enough he was not going to look at every detail of the installation. Had he known you did not do that part he may have made sure to look harder at that part of the job.

Here without a separate permit for that part of the job would have meant you would be the one that receives a correction notice had he caught it. You may be able to get out of it counting against you if you did not do the work, but no matter what you have a problem to deal with.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Does inspector know you did not do the installation? Maybe he did not look too hard because he saw some of your other work and figured you were competent enough he was not going to look at every detail of the installation. Had he known you did not do that part he may have made sure to look harder at that part of the job.

Here without a separate permit for that part of the job would have meant you would be the one that receives a correction notice had he caught it. You may be able to get out of it counting against you if you did not do the work, but no matter what you have a problem to deal with.

That particular jurisdiction does not do a thorough inspection, unfortunately :happysad:. Besides, the GC license is on the permit not mine.

But my main reason that i posted this topic is not to rant but rather to see what code violation would be cited for this installation? If there is a violation?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
100 % positive it was a 2 conductor nm cable.

So, what is the code violation on this?

I don't remember exactly what it was, probably something along the lines of what you posted. I hadn't looked at the box yet, just saw the cable and started to tell them that it had to be three wire, and he said it was. Just something I hadn't seen before. Now I know to look at the box and see what's in there instead of just looking at the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.