Homeowner waits on further wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

A homeowner hired an electrical contractor to wire his newly constructed upstairs dormer. The homeowner, I'm told, had only enough cash to have completely wired one of two rooms. So one room has no receptacle outlets in the wall and the wall studs are now fiberglass insulated. There is however, in this room a newly wired overhead light with wall switch and a hardwired smoke alarm. In making the rough inspection, is it permitted by code to leave a room without wall receptacle outlets?
Thanks

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
A homeowner hired an electrical contractor to wire his newly constructed upstairs dormer. The homeowner, I'm told, had only enough cash to have completely wired one of two rooms. So one room has no receptacle outlets in the wall and the wall studs are now fiberglass insulated. There is however, in this room a newly wired overhead light with wall switch and a hardwired smoke alarm. In making the rough inspection, is it permitted by code to leave a room without wall receptacle outlets?
Thanks

The room could be used for storage and it meets 210.70(3)
(3) Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or
contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

Cavie

It is to code as storage/attic. Not that it matters but me thinks that if the homeowner doesn't have enough money for 4 to 6 more outlets ( $100.00?) that maybe he shouldn't have started this project in the first place. Smells like trouble down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.