Breaker installation quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poli

I am not sure if this is the right forum for my inquiry, and I apologize in advance if my question is inappropriate. I live in Southern California and am installing a hot-tub in my backyard. Thus, I need to add a 220V breaker on my main panel. Electrical wires would run on the outside of my house and the total distance between main panel and hot-tub location is about 100ft. I was quoted about $1000 for this job, which seems too expensive to me. I would get it done myself but I need to demonstrate that the electrical installation was done by a licensed electrician. Would any of you be able to give me an idea how how much an honest electrician should charge for this? Thanks!

Redcliffe

Does the circuit have go to underground at all? if so how far? also considering the fact that at the 100ft mark there might be a Voltage drop issue, which may increase the wire size.
also How many Amps is the breaker that must be installed?

Last edited:

ceb58

I am not sure if this is the right forum for my inquiry, and I apologize in advance if my question is inappropriate. I live in Southern California and am installing a hot-tub in my backyard. Thus, I need to add a 220V breaker on my main panel. Electrical wires would run on the outside of my house and the total distance between main panel and hot-tub location is about 100ft. I was quoted about $1000 for this job, which seems too expensive to me. I would get it done myself but I need to demonstrate that the electrical installation was done by a licensed electrician. Would any of you be able to give me an idea how how much an honest electrician should charge for this? Thanks!
The GFCI breaker will cost the electrician between $120.00 - $150.00 alone. Not to mention the other material, supplies, labor and overhead. So just the breaker and him coming out to give a quote he is at roughly $200.00 into the job already. At $1000.00 he may be too cheap.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The GFCI breaker will cost the electrician between $120.00 - $150.00 alone. Not to mention the other material, supplies, labor and overhead. So just the breaker and him coming out to give a quote he is at roughly $200.00 into the job already. At $1000.00 he may be too cheap.

And you forgot the permit cost. In California, this is probably over $1,000 They need to get money somehow!

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry, that was sarcasm:slaphead:, but permits in California are expensive. I'd bet $300 isn't far off:happysad:!

That is still high but at least more realistic to expect. Inspection of such an install shouldn't take much more than 1/2 hour, on site anyway.

If they were charging 1000, there should be no budget shortfalls, unless nobody is pulling permits because they are too high.

growler

Would any of you be able to give me an idea how how much an honest electrician should charge for this? Thanks!

Being an honest electrician doesn't mean being the cheapest in the area. I know of contractors that do cut-rate crap work that are not very honest at all.

If this guy gets a permit and gets the job inspected and gives the required warranty and does quality work then he is very honest.

I wouldn't bid a job like this without looking at it and then it may cost much more than a $1000 because I would price the job to do everything right.

Being honest is letting the customer know up-front how much a job will cost and then being able to to a quality job for that amount.

Poli

Thanks for your comments. BTW...the hot-tub requires 230v and 50amp. I agree that better doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, but the best quote I got does not even include a permit! Apparently, the high cost is due to the long distance between panel and the backyard (100 ft), the cost of material (e.g. GFI) and the amount of work needed (this seems a routine installation to me). Now, I am not an electrician...but that that seems waaaaaaay too much. Thoughts?

Poli

BTW...is a permit strictly necessary? I am concerned about liability issues....say, a kid sneaks in my backyard...uses my tub...get electrocuted...and I end up being sued. Sounds too unlikely to be true, but these days you never know.

Strathead

Occupation
BTW...is a permit strictly necessary? I am concerned about liability issues....say, a kid sneaks in my backyard...uses my tub...get electrocuted...and I end up being sued. Sounds too unlikely to be true, but these days you never know.

My opinions. First regarding a permit. New installation. If you plan on having the hot tub and circuit in place if the house ever sells then a permit is strictly necessary. If not, then it is still required and I wouldn't do it as a licensed electrician.

Second I feel the price is low. If the Contractor is legitimate I would jump on it. Remember, he is giving you a fixed price. One good sized rock in the ground could add hours. In California, even without the cost of the truck, travel time, training and safety meetings etc., the cost to the employer is probably $36-$60 per man hour.

Poli

Not planning to sell the house for the next...20 years : ) but I understand the importance of getting a permit.
The conduit would run on the side of the house and not underground. Rates per hour seem to be closer to $100+/hr! I found a licensed professional that is willing to do the installation provided I purchase all of the material in advance...his rate...$120/hr. What would I need to purchase other than:

-conduit (any type in particular?)
-GFI (same as above)
-electrical wiring (main panel - backyard distance = 100 ft)

This could be a decent way same some $$$ and get a professional service.

Lectricbota

Not planning to sell the house for the next...20 years : ) but I understand the importance of getting a permit.
The conduit would run on the side of the house and not underground. Rates per hour seem to be closer to $100+/hr! I found a licensed professional that is willing to do the installation provided I purchase all of the material in advance...his rate...$120/hr. What would I need to purchase other than:

-GFI (same as above)

Just wondering why you think you can buy materials cheaper than he can?
I think this is just his way of making you realize what something like this actually costs.

Strathead

Occupation

-GFI (same as above)

I am a little surprised that the moderators have let this thread go on as long as they have. That said, $1,000 to $1,300 for a complete installation in Southern California is not a bad price. Going with someone for $120 per hour and you buying the material means you assume all the risk as well as 3-4 hours running to the supply house. Is time worth that little? Are you willing to risk that it takes less than say 4 hours for one person to do the entire install? The wire and the GFI breaker are probably going to cost you much more than it will cost a business. If it were my house, it would probably cost more, because I wouldn't allow PVC conduit to be run horizontally outside my house. I recommend that you clarify what you are getting. Hire someone who gives a competitive, not necessarily lowest, price, and enjoy the hot water. You are a scientist do you recommend that someone shops for cheaper research?

I must admit that I am getting a little testy. We are professionals that are generally worth every bit of what we charge and then some. It sounds like you got several estimates and are now trying to get it even cheaper. How do you feel about the hours of "free" estimates that you have made contractors perform to hopefully make $200 on your job in profit?

Daja7

I am on the east coast which generally a little less expensive than the west. All my hot tub installations run between $900.00 to $1200.00, sometimes higher if trenching is involved. Try to get a firm price vs. Time and materials. Permit without question. the potential liability for contractor and home owner is just to great.

Strathead

Occupation
Just wondering why you think you can buy materials cheaper than he can?
I think this is just his way of making you realize what something like this actually costs.

The more I wrote the testier I got in my last post. Maybe we should recommend that he go with the $120 and the material. I am betting it will total at least $2,000 that way along with his time running back and forth to the supply house. AND he still wouldn't be getting ripped off.

Poli

Please do not get offended by my post. My intention is to learn about what my options are and how to find a suitable solution to my problem. I value the time and expertise of a professional, honest, and knowledgeable contractor as long as he/she is...professional, honest and knowledgeable. I have been burnt waaaaay too often in the past to be too cautious this time. And please allow me to clarify that one of the electricians I contacted (which has excellent reviews on Angie's list and Yelp) proposed that I buy the material beforehand...I didn't even think about that option because I found it to be disrespectful in the first place. Who do I trust when someone tells me that a GFI costs $500 and the next guy says..."nooo, those are $125"...? Information is power, and my questions to you are all in this spirit. The best option I have found so far is too hire a contractor to get the entire job done for about $900. Thank you very much for all of your comments and for educating me on this matter.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it is legit business owner he will not have you buy material. If it is a side job project maybe. There are a lot of expenses in running a business but unfortunately the home owner does not know. They just say " I think it is too munch" with all due respect what are you comparing to???????

You can buy jeans at Walmart for $10 and you can buy pair of jeans at Nordstroms for $200. They will both cover your body. You can drive a Pinto or you can drive a Cadillac.

When you go to buy a cup of coffee from Peets, you don't ask the barista to give a cost breakdown on the cup of coffee, you pay $2 get your coffee and leave. It is the same with any service work, they give you the price if it is with in budget you pay if and enjoy the benefit of a good safe installation, if not then just like coffee you can go to Home Depot and get a cup for FREE.

Poli

I do not question the price of a cup of coffee...although $1 cup of coffee at McDonalds is better (in terms of quality) to a $2 cup of coffee at Starbucks...please google it.

I do question the cost of something that cost more than a few hundred dollars (e.g. electrical installation). I just turned down an offer from a reputable car dealer for a Honda because I could get it from another reputable dealer for $1200 less...same model, color, year, etc. I do not mind wasting $1 on a cup of coffee...I hate wasting 1+K on a car...I hope you agree with me on this one.

P.S. The pitch line from dealer #1 was...I always follow my gut feeling when purchasing a car...really?!

Status
Not open for further replies.