220v motor on 208v system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What will the effect be on a 20 amp 220v motor installed on a 208v system? (Actual voltage at panel is 214v)

Probably not much effect at all if the voltage stays at 114V but let's see what others have to say. Also many motors are rated for both voltages.

Is the motor rated 220V or 240V????

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What will the effect be on a 20 amp 220v motor installed on a 208v system? (Actual voltage at panel is 214v)
You ask a general question and the general answer is- The motor will likely work just fine. Most 230V motors will work on a 208V system especially if it is a newer motor and even more especially if you voltage is on the high side.

What do you mean by 20A motor?? What is the horse power? What is the motor used for?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
You ask a general question and the general answer is- The motor will likely work just fine. Most 230V motors will work on a 208V system especially if it is a newer motor and even more especially if you voltage is on the high side.

What do you mean by 20A motor?? What is the horse power? What is the motor used for?

Perhaps it is 7.5 HP

norcal

Before the current rating of 230/460V, 3? motors were rated for 220/440V & there still are a lot of them still out there.

Fliz

The less voltage it gets when it draws voltage, the more amperage it will pull, the more amperage, the hotter it will get. I agree though that if it reads 214, you probably don't have that much to worry about.

One thing to research, is that the voltage rating is always "nominal" that means, you need a 220 system to feed it, while realizing that that system will never be exactly 220. Also realize that most US systems will not have 220v output, its normally 240 or 208. I would look at its listing more carefully, is that "Max voltage".

Fwiw. I was working on a 480 delta panel and whoever installed the shop fan didn't know what he was doing. he landed the two pole breaker with one pole on the stinger (which the fan plate specifically said don't do). It had been on all day so I swapped it to the right phases, and it just went slower than it had before. Who knows how long it had been receiving the wrong voltage and had only kept spinning faster than it was designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.