Generator inlet wiring through same raceway as feeders to a garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

A customer wants a generator connection (either a transfer panel or interlock, he's not sure yet).

Either way, he asked if I could put the inlet on his detached garage instead of the house. There is already an oversized pipe going out there carrying a set of #10 feeders for the garage power.

Would there be any issue with running the wiring for the inlet in that same raceway?

Mesh

Assuming OCPD protection of the genny feeders, insulation is correct all for the conductors, conduit size, derating, etc........seems okay.

The OCPD would be on the generator. They make inlets with breakers, but I don't think I would need that. The insulation will all be THWN. The conduit is 1 1/2" so it's plenty without derating.

delectric123

If the house would be powered by the generator, than the generator would be the "service". and the NEC does not allow service conductors in same raceway as feeders.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the house would be powered by the generator, than the generator would be the "service". and the NEC does not allow service conductors in same raceway as feeders.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Okay, you are wrong ;) A service can only be powered by a POCO.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The OCPD would be on the generator. They make inlets with breakers, but I don't think I would need that. The insulation will all be THWN. The conduit is 1 1/2" so it's plenty without derating.

How large is the existing garage feeder? I'm not so sure that that adding a 80% derating factor to the existing conductors wouldn't change the feeder ampacity unless it was a very low ampacity feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.