Welder Extension Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
what type insulation is the most durable, yet feasible for a 200 ft. 50 amp 6/3 extension cord. SOOW?
SOOW is a reasonable choice for an extension cord requiring durability. I really can't be more specific without knowing the reason(s) for wanting most durable.

FWIW, Type SJOOW has a thinner jacket and only rated 300V. Type W is essentially SOOW with a thicker jacket and rated for 2000V.

delectric123

i know that i don't want that "J" in the lettering. i need that thicker insulation for durability. this cord is for powering a welder for repair work, and i want to get a 15 year lifetime out of it and don't want it to get stiff and crack. i'm wondering if SEOOW or STOOW is better

Smart $

Esteemed Member
i know that i don't want that "J" in the lettering. i need that thicker insulation for durability. this cord is for powering a welder for repair work, and i want to get a 15 year lifetime out of it and don't want it to get stiff and crack. i'm wondering if SEOOW or STOOW is better
IMO, for a welder, no. Both have a thermoplastic jacket, which you don't want to use around hot work.

T = thermoplastic (PVC)
E = thermoplastic elastomer (i.e. thermoplastic with rubber-like properties such as EPDM)

Last edited:

delectric123

So i should look for a "E" in my lettering, eh? i don't know, those yellow extension cords i use are SEOOW, and they seem to get stiff and crack over time, to me it seems SOOW doesn't do that, or am i Wrong?

Last edited:

John120/240

Here is a link to SOOW...http://www.wireandcabletogo.com/Por.../SOOW/6-3-SOOW-Portable-Cord-600V-Non-UL.html

For a installation 200 feet away why not use a sub panel & make it permanent. 120V convenience receptacles could be mounted near the panel for power tools also.

guschash

We use welding cable for our extension cords. I worked in glass plant and melting end temperatures were way over 100 degrees . Cables never cack and were easy to roll up. We had welding plugs on the I beams.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
We use welding cable for our extension cords. I worked in glass plant and melting end temperatures were way over 100 degrees . Cables never cack and were easy to roll up. We had welding plugs on the I beams.
Multiconductor welding cable...???

Status
Not open for further replies.