Give me a good reason to do the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lile001

I am looking at a renovation of a 40 unit apartment building. The building is probably from the 1920's. It is slated for a major electrtical renovation. We will likely go from a 400 amp to a 1200 amp service entrance.

There is quite a lot of ungrounded cloth covered romex, and several ungrounded panelboards, only having conduit providing the equipment ground. There is also some newer plastic-covered romex installed with metal staples, just like the ones that caused my house to burn down in 1975. I can still see the image in my memory - a squashed Romex wire under a metal staple, the one the fire marshal showed me had a burn mark on it but didn't actually catch fire.

There is evidence that there once was knob-and-tube, and I have a suspicion there is still K&T inside the walls. That's gotta go.

I'd like to insist that all the old wiring has to go, and I anticipate the owner will try to go cheapskate and save the old wiring. I am also tempted to say I won't work ont he job if the old wiring stays, and he can find another sucker to wire it.

Any good solid code references that would hold some water? What does the Code say about reusing old wiring in a major renovation? Is there a threshold crossed where the whole building has to be up to modern codes? Does anyone know any real facts about how safe or unsafe cloth covered Romex is, even if it was properly grounded (which it isn't) ?

ken44

If the owner wont let you put in new wiring, dont walk away, run! The AHJ and inspector is not going to allow this which puts you in the middle of a bad situation, not to mention the peronal risk, danger and responsibility you will have to deal with should anything go wrong. Unfortunately, there are some jobs you have to walk away from sometimes but better to walk away than work for free or get hurt.

lile001

Give me a good reason to do the right thing

If the owner wont let you put in new wiring, dont walk away, run! The AHJ and inspector is not going to allow this which puts you in the middle of a bad situation, not to mention the peronal risk, danger and responsibility you will have to deal with should anything go wrong. Unfortunately, there are some jobs you have to walk away from sometimes but better to walk away than work for free or get hurt.

Ken, That's the best advice I've had all day. Now for the code - is there anything I can point to and say "Look, this paragraph says we just can't do that." ?

is there anything I can point to and say "Look, this paragraph says we just can't do that." ?

I'm willing to bet that there is some local or state ordinance that tells you to bring everything up to current code if you're spending more than so many dollars on the job. Wouldn't be in the NEC, through, try the zoning or planning departments.

Id the owner wants to "save the wiring", pull it out and let him recycle it :D.

I'm willing to bet that there is some local or state ordinance that tells you to bring everything up to current code if you're spending more than so many dollars on the job. Wouldn't be in the NEC, through, try the zoning or planning departments.

Id the owner wants to "save the wiring", pull it out and let him recycle it :D.

My thoughts too. Most building departments will have there own guidelines concerning what needs to be upgraded and when.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Romex is a perfectly safe wiring method. I have no issues with it.

But like all wiring methods, after a while it is a gut and start over kind of thing.

I would take a look and see if it is worth saving but my guess is it is not worth doing.

In any case, in a major renovation it is going to have to be brought up to current codes and that will probably end up being a gut and start over thing anyway.

GOZ

Any good solid code references that would hold some water? What does the Code say about reusing old wiring in a major renovation? Is there a threshold crossed where the whole building has to be up to modern codes? Does anyone know any real facts about how safe or unsafe cloth covered Romex is, even if it was properly grounded (which it isn't) ?

Annex H. 80.9 Application.

Status
Not open for further replies.