Please help me find the Code for bundling wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burchie

I am working with a panel builder and I need to find the code or standard that has an issue with bundling 120VAC power for motors (1hp @ 16 A) with 24Vdc control wires. Personnally, it is a bad idea but I have to come up with a code or a standard violation for him to make 2 runs.

Burchie

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I am working with a panel builder and I need to find the code or standard that has an issue with bundling 120VAC power for motors (1hp @ 16 A) with 24Vdc control wires. Personnally, it is a bad idea but I have to come up with a code or a standard violation for him to make 2 runs.

Burchie

690.4 Installation.
(A) Photovoltaic Systems. Photovoltaic systems shall be permitted to supply a building or other structure in addition to any other electricity supply system(s).
(B) Identification and Grouping. Photovoltaic source circuits and PV output circuits shall not be contained in the same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting as conductors, feeders, or branch circuits of other non-PV systems, unless the conductors of the different systems are separated by a partition. Photovoltaic system conductors shall be identified and grouped as required by 690.4(B)(1) through (4). The means of identification shall be permitted by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Burchie

Is the insulation for the 24 VDC conductors rated at or above 120 VAC?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What type of circuit is the 24 volt circuit? Article 725 may apply and require separation from the power conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
See 725.133(D) & (E).

-Hal

Which code you in? 2011 doesn't have any subsections to 723.133

725.48(B)(1) :"Class 1 circuits and power-supply circuits shall be permitted to occupy the same cable, enclosure, or raceway only where the equipment powered is functionally associated." may apply if OP has class 1 control circuit.

There is also 725.130(A) exception no 2: "Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits if the Class 2 and Class 3 markings required in 725.124 are eliminated and the entire circuit is installed using the wiring methods and materials in accordance with Part II, Class 1 circuits." This is followed by informational note: "Class 2 and Class 3 circuits reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits are no longer Class 2 or Class 3 circuits, regardless of the continued connection to a Class 2 or Class 3 power source."

Status
Not open for further replies.