2nd disconnect required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

Hey guys... long time, no chat! (My fault!)

Does a commercial breaker panel need a disconnect (or Main Breaker) within sight of the panel?

The existing 3-phase panel has Main Lugs Only, but it already has overcurrent protection (Fuses in a Disconnect) that are located about 150 feet away in the Mall's electrical equipment room.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hey guys... long time, no chat! (My fault!)

Does a commercial breaker panel need a disconnect (or Main Breaker) within sight of the panel?

The existing 3-phase panel has Main Lugs Only, but it already has overcurrent protection (Fuses in a Disconnect) that are located about 150 feet away in the Mall's electrical equipment room.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

408.36 Overcurrent Protection. In addition to the requirement of 408.30, a panelboard shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device having a rating not greater than that of the panelboard. This overcurrent protective device shall be located within or at any point on the supply side of the panelboard.

davedottcom

So, I do not need a Main or another Disconnect. The Fused disconnect that is located in the mechanical room is definitely on the "supply side" of the panel board, and I'm thinking 150 Feet away is definitely "at any point".
Cool, I can use the Main-Lugs.

Thanks!

408.36 Overcurrent Protection. In addition to the requirement of 408.30, a panelboard shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device having a rating not greater than that of the panelboard. This overcurrent protective device shall be located within or at any point on the supply side of the panelboard.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Note that the panelboard has to be in the same building as the disconnect to be exempt. Any detached structure with a feeder needs a disconnect (main breaker or separate disconnect upstream of the MLO panel but on the same building as the MLO panel)

Status
Not open for further replies.