392.18(E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good question, that article is somewhat convoluted in that it sends you to different wiring methods. What kind of wiring is going into the tray?

joebell

Good question, that article is somewhat convoluted in that it sends you to different wiring methods. What kind of wiring is going into the tray?

MC Cable, IMO as long as you secure the cable properly to the tray the installation should be ok. I don't understand why it must be exposed and accessible/

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
MC Cable, IMO as long as you secure the cable properly to the tray the installation should be ok. I don't understand why it must be exposed and accessible/

I think that the explanation in that area of code is in (F).
...to permit adequate access for installing and maintaining the cables

Since you have to secure the cable to the tray, trying to remove suspect cable or pull new cable will not be possible if the tray is run through an inaccessible area.

Cable trays, unlike conduit, are not intended for install and forget applications.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cable tray is a support system. If it's supporting MC cables I don't see why it needs to be accessible. If the same MC cable was fastened by some other method to the structure above the same inaccessible ceiling what would be the difference?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Cable tray is a support system. If it's supporting MC cables I don't see why it needs to be accessible. If the same MC cable was fastened by some other method to the structure above the same inaccessible ceiling what would be the difference?
Maybe it is just because the code panel did not want to complicate things by listing which kinds of wire and cable could be used in an inaccessible cable tray and which could not?
A wiring method that would not be allowed to only be attached to other points in the space for support would not be allowed to run in cable tray either in such a location.

Just a guess....

Status
Not open for further replies.