transit connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
that is an amayzing number the the 350 diesel we owned fully chipped only was able to achiev 15 MPG that was city ,hyway,loaded ,unloiaded. When diesel was cheaper than gas it was a good deal now that diesel is higher not so much. You should call tyhe manufacture they would probably pay for thge new technology you found to get 23 MPG.

sure, wilbur.... i didn't find anything. call the manufacturer? spare the sarcasm.

http://www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/index.php?page=products_60

matt writes pretty good code... rather, he's editing a template SCT compiled.

off goes the EGR cooler, the fan is driven off the oil temperature from the external
oil cooler, shift points and pressures are changed, torque converter lockup is different.
the fan's probably 40 hp, fully locked up.

the van's also got tall gears, and that probably is the biggest difference to milage to
what you got.

it'll do 23, level ground, at 55-60, with cruse control on. with the banks economind,
(fully chipped, to use your terminology) best it would do is 20.

"fully chipped" doesn't get it. you need different source code, in my experience.

today, around town, in "drive it like you stole it" mode, i went 131 miles, at 12.8 mpg.
every once in a while, it's fun to ignore the milage dance. today was one of those days.
3 estimates, two job sites, 4 wholesale houses.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes it has a huge windshield ,but how about being able to view over the cars in front of you It just doesn't look like your going to have the same view when your sitting 7' high like in a truck.
If everyone drove the same vehicle.... you wouldn't be taller than anyone else:happyyes:

that is an amayzing number the the 350 diesel we owned fully chipped only was able to achiev 15 MPG that was city ,hyway,loaded ,unloiaded. When diesel was cheaper than gas it was a good deal now that diesel is higher not so much. You should call tyhe manufacture they would probably pay for thge new technology you found to get 23 MPG.
diesel power still has some advantages depending on your needs.

With one of our F-250 truck that has a 460 engine, I be lucky to get 5 to 6 M/Gal street or highway at about 10,900 lb.
but you still get about same 5-6 MPG whether light or heavy loaded.:happyyes: I have no experiences with any current 460's but that is the way it was years ago.

I looked into the Transit Connect as a residential service vehicle.

For very basic service it would be OK, but you can't stock too much on it. You're limited in how many different devices, styles, colors, cover plates, etc.

It's not only the size that limits you, but the weight capacity.

Another thing is when you have a bit of a bigger job. Unless you empty stuff out, I'm not sure if you could fit everything you need for a typical service upgrade, or more than 10 recessed lights. What if you need the hotbox or larger rotary hammer? Oh, it's at the shop because there was no room...

PetrosA

I looked into the Transit Connect as a residential service vehicle.

For very basic service it would be OK, but you can't stock too much on it. You're limited in how many different devices, styles, colors, cover plates, etc.

It's not only the size that limits you, but the weight capacity.

Another thing is when you have a bit of a bigger job. Unless you empty stuff out, I'm not sure if you could fit everything you need for a typical service upgrade, or more than 10 recessed lights. What if you need the hotbox or larger rotary hammer? Oh, it's at the shop because there was no room...

I've been working out of a TC for three years now. I have an interior from Ranger, and I don't suffer from any of the things you mention. I don't stock all colors of everything, but only because I don't specialize in service - so I carry more of the colors I use. I've done a 200A service upgrade without issues, changed lots of panels, installed a lot of recessed lights, done many kitchens and baths, etc. My TE-60 really doesn't take up a lot of room when I need it, which is rare. Normally I carry a Sawzall, a Hilti TE-15C, a circular saw, a cordless 1/2" drill, a cordless impact, a corded right angle drill, a large Ideal KO bit set, misc. hammers, a 10" fan (with flexible hose) and a bunch of hand tools, and all of that (except the cordless drill and impact) are in a slide out cabinet behind the bulkhead. I carry at least one box of almost every device in white and light almond, plus a few oddball things in other colors and basic dimmers and GFIs (TR and TRWR) in a few colors. I have old work boxes from single gang to 4 gang on hand. 1900 and 4 11/16 with an assortment of covers, four brands of breakers in stab and bolt-down versions, data and telephone stuff, etc. etc. etc. plus a 4' ladder, and 12 foot Xtenda-Climb, a 7' ladder and a 28' ladder, a trash can, pipe benders and a vacuum. Then there's the test gear, label maker, face masks, rubber gloves, light meter, sprays (lubricants, cleaners, paints), and wire.

My point is that it can be done, and can work well. You do have to plan it out and streamline the way you stock stuff. Know your jobs and what you'll need as much as possible when leaving the shop. Don't haul around junk that you won't need for two and three years - it'll be so dirty when you do need it that you'll be embarrassed to install it anyway, or have a hard time convincing the customer it's really a new item ;)

I've been working out of a TC for three years now. I have an interior from Ranger, and I don't suffer from any of the things you mention.
That's because, as you've stated in the rest of your post, you aren't doing what I was commenting about.

You don't specialize in service work, which was what I was talking about. You don't stock all colors that you may come across. You don't carry many of your tools with you that you may find yourself needing. Etc.

I've found customer's descriptions of their problems to be horrible, sometimes you arrive to find a completely different problem than was explained to you. Also, many times a customer thinks of something else that they want to get done. If I go out to a service call 20 minutes away from the shop, and I end up selling something extra (maybe something that requires a bit of pipe outside), I want to be able to drill that 1 3/8" hole through the foundation and bend the PVC to fit. I'd like to bang out the job at that time, instead of going back again which wastes time and fuel.

Having to go and get something just once per week could easily cost more in labor (lost time that could be spent working) and fuel than the fuel savings of a Transit Connect over a typical E-250 or similar.

Rewire

We hav a set van inventory for our full size vans. We carry all colors white,almond,ivory,brown and even black. The difference is we know our ara and ivory and almond are not popular so we dont need to carry ten like we do on the full size van. The same for fittings we carry both set screw and comprssion on the full size van but only carry compression on the transit. We carry five 4 11/16 boxes with covers on the full size van we dropped to one on the transit. Almost everything we carry on the full size we carry on the transit just in reduced amounts. All vans have the same tools even the transit . We do alot of service so we know our area fairly well and by the end of the year we will have our transit inventory tweeked out.

I'd like to see these Transit Connects with all this material, tools, ladders, garbage cans, and enough room to hold the extra material when doing things like services upgrades.

PetrosA

I'd like to see these Transit Connects with all this material, tools, ladders, garbage cans, and enough room to hold the extra material when doing things like services upgrades.

There is one major thing to keep in mind - with a TC, you almost NEVER have to climb into it. It has access from three sides and you use the storage space much more efficiently than in a full size van.

There is one major thing to keep in mind - with a TC, you almost NEVER have to climb into it. It has access from three sides and you use the storage space much more efficiently than in a full size van.
That right there is probably the number 1 reason why I started looking into them.

But when I saw one with shelving on both sides and barely any room in the middle, I couldn't believe how small it was.

PetrosA

That's because, as you've stated in the rest of your post, you aren't doing what I was commenting about.

You don't specialize in service work, which was what I was talking about. You don't stock all colors that you may come across. You don't carry many of your tools with you that you may find yourself needing. Etc.

I've found customer's descriptions of their problems to be horrible, sometimes you arrive to find a completely different problem than was explained to you. Also, many times a customer thinks of something else that they want to get done. If I go out to a service call 20 minutes away from the shop, and I end up selling something extra (maybe something that requires a bit of pipe outside), I want to be able to drill that 1 3/8" hole through the foundation and bend the PVC to fit. I'd like to bang out the job at that time, instead of going back again which wastes time and fuel.

Having to go and get something just once per week could easily cost more in labor (lost time that could be spent working) and fuel than the fuel savings of a Transit Connect over a typical E-250 or similar.

Actually, I did service work for years, I still do it when called to and I'm very good at it, but there isn't service work in my area like there used to be. Home Depot saw to that. I can't even remember the last time someone called to replace a light socket or a switch.

Colors are a very local thing. There is one region I've done work in where you find a lot of Almond devices, but nowhere else. Brown is almost unheard of anymore, as is Ivory. Times have changed.

Actually, the only tools I don't carry are shovels and my TE-60, but I wouldn't carry them on a full size van either. I have had to loan guys in full size, well stocked vans tools that they didn't have on numerous occasions. I've never had to borrow a tool myself.

Customers' descriptions can be horrible, but it's better to have them than not to have them. If I have a service call 20 minutes away, I'm in heaven. Most of my work is 40-60 miles away in an area that's poor in suppliers. I recently needed a decora triple single pole rocker in light almond for a fan/light/night light combo and had to travel to two supply houses and a HD to find it. Total: 20 miles driving. Will I stock one on my truck? No. It was the first and only time I've needed a switch like that in six years.

To your last point, even with an E250 you will run up against something that you have to go get from time to time if you do resi service, and many things you'll need to order in anyway so you'll have to make return trips (fan motors/blades/squirrel cages, fan controls, lumiline and other lamps, smart switches, electric heater contactors, TVSS receptacles, undercab lamps, various pullchain switches, low-voltage sockets, etc. all come to mind). If you're only 20 minutes away from a supplier or your shop, it's really not that bad. You may not feel the fuel pinch because you work so locally. I don't, and a full size truck would eat a few hundred dollars per week. A buddy of mine who does phone and network jobs out of a F150 was spending $1600 per month just on fuel. He got a Toyota Prius for service calls, which make up a large part of his business. Out of that $1600/month he was paying, he has about $1000 savings plus a free vehicle. He still uses the F150, but only when it's necessary. That's over $10,000 savings per year, not an amount to sneer at.

PetrosA

That right there is probably the number 1 reason why I started looking into them.

But when I saw one with shelving on both sides and barely any room in the middle, I couldn't believe how small it was.

It is different than a full size van, I agree :) If I had employees, I would have full size trucks for teams of two doing things like service changes, and the TC for a single guy doing service work. That would seem more efficient to me.

Rewire

Dont forget the cab. You can fit a panel and meter in the passenger seat if needed. You also can put blight stuff in the overhead storage in the cab. The ladders go on the rack and we also have a conduit tube. Our fuel bill last year was 70 grand so if we can even reduce it by 1/3 thats an additional 23 grand on the bottom line.

drspec

I bought a Transit Connect almost 2 months ago. I do a lot of service work and driving around to estimates in the few short weeks I have had it I have travelled almost 4000 miles. The savings in fuel pays the payment. It all depends on the type of work you do and how you set the shelving up in it if it would work for you. I love it and wouldn't go back to a full size van for everyday driving. One E250 is in service for larger jobs and the employees drive that. The other E250 has been parked since I got the Transit Connect. I can't get pics to upload, but if anyone wants to see my setup, let me know.

I'd really like to see your setup and the other people who use the Connect as well.

I'm a "I don't believe it until I see it" type of guy, I'd like to see how you got your Connects loaded, maybe I will be surprised and buy one of my own.

PetrosA

That interior would be useless for me. I know it's not cheap, but the Ranger setup makes it possible to get way more stuff in in a sensible way. These pics are from a few years ago, so there wasn't as much in there as there is now. I've added three shelves to the back of the bulkhead and upgraded to a larger vac and plastic 15 gallon trash can (serves as trash can and bin for carrying stuff into jobs). I don't really keep much up front other than my test gear tote and papers.

Blaer

It seems every review of the Transit complains of it being underpowered, especially in situations such as merging into freeway traffic. The reviews speak of the van bare and unloaded - let alone weighed down by bins, parts and tools.

Have you noticed this problem yourself?

PetrosA

It seems every review of the Transit complains of it being underpowered, especially in situations such as merging into freeway traffic. The reviews speak of the van bare and unloaded - let alone weighed down by bins, parts and tools.

Have you noticed this problem yourself?

I noticed a pretty clear increase in the power output at about 15k miles. I don't know whether the computer is programmed to take it easy for a break-in period or not, but I can't complain about highway driving now. It's not a sports car by any means, but on a modern style on-ramp, I can get up to 65-70 mph pretty easily. Older highways with really short ramps and merge areas can be a problem, but that's true for anything other than a sports car. Turning on the AC will definitely make a noticeable difference, unfortunately. At the end of the day though, I can deal with the lower power for the fuel savings I have. Last week I drove about 600 miles on the PA turnpike and spent around $80 on gas. That's acceptable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.