GEC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My service ungrded cu. conductors are 350kcmil T.250.66 cals for #2awg. 250.66(A) that portion of the cond. that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be larger than #6cu. Question: how do you work that out? In a commercial or industrial installation would you run two gec's one #2 to bldg steel the other #6 to the ground rod. ? :slaphead:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
My service ungrded cu. conductors are 350kcmil T.250.66 cals for #2awg. 250.66(A) that portion of the cond. that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be larger than #6cu. Question: how do you work that out? In a commercial or industrial installation would you run two gec's one #2 to bldg steel the other #6 to the ground rod. ? :slaphead:

You could run 2 separate to each grounding electrode of the appropriate size, or if you "daisy" chain then from one to the next, the GEC needs only to be as large as the "weakest link". For example, if a ground rod is last in line, the conductor to it only needs to be a #6.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could use separate GEC's or use one and connect the electrodes together with bonding jumpers.

1113918256_2.jpg

kwired

Electron manager

The "not required to be larger than 6 CU" does not apply to all electrodes, it applies to rod, pipe (but not a qualifying water pipe) and plate electrodes.

If a rod, pipe or plate electrode is the only electrode available then 6 AWG is largest GEC needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.