Burn Loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I never heard them called "burn loops" before but it was a common thing to see "service loops" required in specs for wiring field devices.

the same idea. leave some extra wire or cable so it is easier to service or move a device down the road.

mwm1752

I see loops fairly often due to owner changes have the EC on edge. As long as the support is 12" & using clamps or 6" into non clamped should not be considered a voilation. Some contractors use the method when boxes are to be cut into baseboard finishes. Seems like a waste of resources but is dealers choice. With all the spray foam insulation in exterior walls being used those locations make it a worthless method.

Last edited:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
The only place I've seen "burn loops" commonly used is onboard ships for feeders. The idea is that when at sea, you need to be able to make a QUICK repair to a lost feeder and may not have a stock of cable onboard to re-pull it. Many shipyards use this as standard practice at the demand of their customers.

Mark

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have never done this on new installs but I always leave some loop when doing cut in boxes. I do it then so the box can be removed for access to the wall cavity or to pull in more wire if needed. New installs, I try to leave extra in the box. I carry 6 inches from face of box and tuck it well. Most burns I ever saw were right at the device or within a few inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.