Adding outlets in restaurant kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I have a restaurant customer that needs additional outlets in the kitchen. The kitchen is a large open area with receptacles along the walls. Since the space is large they have lots of cords running on the floor to the wall outlets.

There is a suspended ceiling with good access to the electric panels. The ideal solution is to drop something down from the ceiling. I am drawing a blank on how to support these outlets. I suppose we could construct a small square column using metal studs and drywall. Are there any other simpler solutions?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would some sort of power pole work?

02-telepower.jpg

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Or you could drop pipe down to the top of the box and then from the bottom of the box go down to a floor flang. The box would have to be a bell box or a cast box with threaded hubs and you would have to use IMC or RMC or Aluminum conduit.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You mean drop the line into the wall or on the surface?

If you need the box you can use one of these retro rings. They work great.
973_large.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You mean drop the line into the wall or on the surface?

No. I think he means to drop what would be a single vertical pipe from a ceiling box to a floor flange so that it is attached at both ends and then cut out a section in the middle and insert the box with the receptacles. (Or get the same effect starting with two pieces of pipe and the threaded box.) :)
Free standing and rigid so there would not be a drop cord. But it would not be moveable without some work.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
No. I think he means to drop what would be a single vertical pipe from a ceiling box to a floor flange so that it is attached at both ends and then cut out a section in the middle and insert the box with the receptacles. (Or get the same effect starting with two pieces of pipe and the threaded box.) :)
Free standing and rigid so there would not be a drop cord. But it would not be moveable without some work.

That is correct, on all points.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
wood post

wood post

I came up with a possible solution that will require some carpentry work. I can install a 4 x 4 wooden post from floor to ceiling. I can wrap the post in drywall and then use MC cable and 1900 boxes to drop down from the ceiling.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If I was going to use a 4 x 4 I'd prime and paint it instead of drywall/taping/priming/painting.

Quicker/easier.
But not fire resistant if it that became significant. Since it is not structural it probably does not need to be protected on those grounds.
But it would be relevant if equipment located next to it had clearance requirements.

eHunter

I have a restaurant customer that needs additional outlets in the kitchen. The kitchen is a large open area with receptacles along the walls. Since the space is large they have lots of cords running on the floor to the wall outlets.

There is a suspended ceiling with good access to the electric panels. The ideal solution is to drop something down from the ceiling. I am drawing a blank on how to support these outlets. I suppose we could construct a small square column using metal studs and drywall. Are there any other simpler solutions?

FWIW: In my area, Mickey D's has been using IEC pin and sleeve watertight devices with SOOW for several years on most of their kitchen equipment.
The cord is dropped down from a ceiling mounted box with a strain relief to a pin and sleeve cord receptacle about 4 feet AFF.

kwired

Electron manager
A doubt a painted wooden 4 X 4 will pass the health department in a Kitchen.

yeah, you could be right. If that's the case though, I wonder why putting a layer of drywall between the wood and the paint would make it acceptable. Final surface would be the same paint.

Kind of beat me to it, but yes, unfinished wood would not be acceptable. Potential for bacteria to grow there and not being able to effectively wash it is why unfinished wood is unacceptable. Painted wood though may not be preferred at least has a seal on the wood and can be cleaned easier.

Drywall is no better if not painted. The paint provides a seal to an otherwise absorbent base. Once the seal fails you still have a problem and therefore these surfaces are not necessarily preferred where they may be subject to any kind of activity that compromises the painted finish easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.