Elevator Sprinkler Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

It has been suggested that the elevator shutdown due to sprinkler operation in the shaft or machine room should be delayed until the passengers are unloaded (after recall). It make sense but I can not actually find a code reference. As far as I can find, operation of sprinkler in the shaft or machine room requires that power be shut off (e.g. via shunt trip circuit breaker).
Any insights?

Addco

What state are you in ? This requirement is in the NFPA 72 code. Section 21.4, I believe. In California, the state has not adopted that portion of the code, and requires immediate shunt activation upon water flow (heat detector alternative)

Many other jurisdictions do go with the delayed activation. The elevator controller sends a signal (contact closure) to indicate completion of recall & doors open.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What state are you in ? This requirement is in the NFPA 72 code. Section 21.4, I believe. In California, the state has not adopted that portion of the code, and requires immediate shunt activation upon water flow (heat detector alternative)

Many other jurisdictions do go with the delayed activation. The elevator controller sends a signal (contact closure) to indicate completion of recall & doors open.
In California, there may be a concern that if the shutdown is triggered by an earthquake (water flow, for example) they would rather have the elevator stop where it is than try to recall to the exit floor?

olc

I'm in NY. We are still on 72-2007 officially.

I looked at 73-2013. As far as I can see a delay is allowed in the appendix. Not required.

While looking at it what caught my eye was 21.3.6 - No smoke detectors in sprinklered shaft... - What????????????

nhfire77

.... No smoke detectors in sprinklered shaft... - What????????????

Too many false alarms, too much coordination between building rep, FA and elevator techs to clean a dirty smoke too. If, a fire starts in the elevator shaft itself heat should accumulate quickly. It should be concentrated at the shaft top or pit if the car is at the ground floor. Although early detection is delayed the shaft is at least 2 hour rated, assisting in the confinement of heat and fire.

With a spot smoke at each elevator lobby, there is a pretty good chance one will alarm, the door seals aren't air tight, usually.

Some places still require it anyway, it's a great place for alarm verification or cross zoning, but it's not in the code.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.