plastic insulating bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Plastic insulating bushing is what you use to protect the wires at the end of a conduit. And the connector is is for a service cable SEU . Of course I'm talking 200 amps where the wires are larger than #4

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Plastic insulating bushing is what you use to protect the wires at the end of a conduit. And the connector is is for a service cable SEU . Of course I'm talking 200 amps where the wires are larger than #4

You don't need an insulator bushing for SEU. It is a cable assembly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although a bushing is not required on SE cable connectors we typically use one since they're pretty cheap.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Although a bushing is not required on SE cable connectors we typically use one since they're pretty cheap.

I agree especially if the outer cable jacket doesn't extend beyond the connector too far. It's kinda like the anti short bushing on MC cable, a little more insurance.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I know what plastic bushing are but your OP asked if you would your use THIS plastic bushings. I didn't know what THIS was.

In my area SEU cable is not used but SER is for feeders. I have never used a bushing on cable connectors. I always make sure the jacket extends beyond the end of the connector so it would be almost impossible for the wires to com in contact with the connector.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry about that curt. And thanks for your replies

No problem. Sometimes we get specific things in our head but don't explain them well enough for others to understand. I though you had a specific product in mind here.
Have a good one! Time for me to go donate more money to the supply house.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Have you had any NJ inspectors requiring them on SE connectors?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I always do, even though it is clearly not required. It's about 30 cents and looks better and cheap insurance.

Mark

kwired

Electron manager
AFAIK the reason for the bushing is to protect conductors from abrasion during pulling.

With cable assemblies there is no pulling conductors and therefore the bushing serves no purpose.

I don't understand why putting a bushing on would look better or give any better performance either.

liquidtite

My boss got flaged in northern nj for not haveing the plastic wrap that covers the conductors onmc showing ,the inspector said it holds the red head in he wanted the plastic showing on all mc entering boxes. So from now on we have to push the plastic through the connector and have it showing. I always did it that way but never new it was code

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My boss got flaged in northern nj for not haveing the plastic wrap that covers the conductors onmc showing ,the inspector said it holds the red head in he wanted the plastic showing on all mc entering boxes. So from now on we have to push the plastic through the connector and have it showing. I always did it that way but never new it was code

Where in the code book did the inspector find that? Anti-short bushings aren't even required on MC cable. Your boss should call the DCA.....

Rewire

I know complete bs I wasn't worh king for him at the time but herd the story

The confusion arose because manufacturers would attach a package of anti short bushings to the mc cable this was a common thing with AC cable which required bushings. In 2002 a proposal was submitted to require bushings on MC but because the fittings were already listed to be used without them it did not make it into code.

Status
Not open for further replies.