Organizing As a Supervisor

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been an electrician for 18 years. I've been with this company for 3 months. After my first month they sent my supervisor to to another job and put me in charge. I have any where from 5 to 10 workers at any given time. I don't seem to be effective as a worker anymore with all the explaining what needs to be done and the main contractor isn't much help. Any time I ask the Site Forman a question. "I ain't got a clue" is his go to answer. I'm just stressing over how to organize all the change order papers, delivery invoices, time sheets, etc. I only have a home made print table with a cardboard box for the papers. A big blue tube I stuffed the prints in. A gang box for tools. What i'm trying to figure out is should I even try to use my tools. And do I need some sort of training in the art of how to do all this what I would consider project management. I love being an electrician but this is really stressing me out.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You should always feel the sense of urgency to pick up your tools, but not be perplexed that it doesn't happen 4 days out of 5.

It's not stress, it's appreciation for the timetables contrasted against the available manpower.

Stay happy, keep moving, and lead by example.

growler

I voted that a foreman should not were tools but I have had 10-15 guys working and was still able to do some work. The reason was that all the electricians working on that particular project were very experienced and needed little supervision.

The most important thing is for you to be a supervisor.

One guy can only do so much but if the foreman isn't doing his job you can have 10 guys not working and that's a problem.

There are owners that think everyone should be a working foreman but many of them are full of it. If you can keep track of everything, make sure that no mistakes are made and know exactly where you are (progress) then you will be very busy.

Rewire

alot depends on who those eight guys are and what skill level they have if I have eight Jman then I would keep the tools handy if I have one Jman and seven helpers well I would shoot myself.

alot depends on who those eight guys are and what skill level they have if I have eight Jman then I would keep the tools handy if I have one Jman and seven helpers well I would shoot myself.

The bulk of my workers are 1st six months helpers. Two of which are top helpers. Four are 1st six months. Two of them are Journeyman. One of which has seniority and shows up when he feels like it and doesn't really do much. So it's a mix. One of them asked me what a ground rod was today. I guess I just figure everyone rolled on the job site in a stroller. LOL.

billdozier 78

Leave the tools in the truck. Stay positive,moral stems from the head down. If your unhappy so will your guys be. Just do what you can. It can always be worse.

renosteinke

Let's find our answer by asking the right question: What is a supervisors' job?

As I see it, a supervisor exists for no reason but to help the crew work better. That's why he does the scheduling and ordering. That's why he checks work against the customers' expectations.

I don't see a lot of room in that duty for the supervisor to be pulling wire. Journeymen are pros, and don't need you to hold their hands. It's the journeymen who train the apprentices.

growler

(read description of crew)

in this case, the working definition of a ground rod is what
you got shoved up your butt when you got to run this crew.

I kind of wonder if they are even paying him as foreman to run this crew. Companies that load up with helpers normally don't pay anything.

nhfire77

Scientifically speaking the military and other groups have definded 'span of control' or immediate supervision ratio of 3 to 7:1. 5:1 being optimal. In construction up to 10:1 is good, if the subordiates are good at their job and motivated (I can hear some laughing over this)

If you have to talk directly to all 8+ workers, regardless of j-man/helper, you cannot do the work. If you are able to successfully deligate limited basic tasks to two lead guys, you may be able to have 10-14 under you. Still, you cannot be running pipe 1/2 a shift and being the foreman the other half. You'll never finish your perceived share of that work.

I strongly believe you need quality workers that can be empowered to make decisons that reduce your burden. The more independence you can give them (successfully, without compromise), the better you will perform. Now you look good, you get to brag about and positively praise your workers. Productivity rises, waste is reduced. This will ebb and flow of course.

AV ELECTRIC

Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the people that work under you is important and you appear to have that knowledge.

Being organized , good planning and coordination of your men and or women is important you want to put the wright guy for the wright task and keep them efficient and productive . depending how well you memorize things is how much you need to wright things down a simple white board may help with daily tasks . i dont do well with massive quantities of paper work i am more of visual person so i keep it simple but i am sure you have to do do some paperwork .

Another factor is keeping people motivated so sometimes changing things up can help with that men in general do get complacent over time with repeatable tasks and production can deteriorate .

take a look back to the past of the people you have worked for take the good and remove the bad you dont need the most knowledgeable people just willing to work as a team . you do need to let people go that are problematic just one guy can bring down a crew and for me problematic is mostly behavioral .

I kind of wonder if they are even paying him as foreman to run this crew. Companies that load up with helpers normally don't pay anything.

I make 16 dollars an hour. In Pensacola FL. That's 1 dollar less than than IU made 5 years ago under the same PM. I took 14 not to long ago. I have been told when I asked for a raise that If he could get it out of them he would. We'll see.

I wouldn't supervise anything for $16/hour. I'd expect to be told what to do and do it for that kind of money.

That's just the going rate for this area. I probably am about to get another dollar and may ask for another if I make it out of this job alive. 16 is more than other companies are paying. I know a shop that's paying 25 year pros 12 and as a foreman I was getting 14. It was sad. As soon as I got a better offer I was out of there.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
That's just the going rate for this area. I probably am about to get another dollar and may ask for another if I make it out of this job alive. 16 is more than other companies are paying. I know a shop that's paying 25 year pros 12 and as a foreman I was getting 14. It was sad. As soon as I got a better offer I was out of there.

is this residential or commercial?

is this residential or commercial?

It's a surgical center. One floor. I don't know the footage but it has over a hundred fixtures, around 15 exam rooms, 3 operating rooms, 3 recovery rooms, 3 post op rooms, 10 pole lights, all EMT, class B fire alarm. When I get changes, which have been more than I've ever seen, I get a page with 20 items saying data lowered to 18 inches 57 inches south of north wall. It's not like I can't decipher all that but wouldn't it be better to at least copy a section of the print and red line what they want onto that page. :rant::rant::rant:

stevenje

Why are wages so low in Florida? Around here in Oregon an (IEC) first year apprentice with no prior experience starts out at $11.42 per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.