OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
I suffer from OCD about things at work all the time. (The real, lose sleep over it, obsess over it for days on end, kind of OCD). One thing is my boss doesn't have a right angle drill so drilling holes inevitably leads to some of the holes being close to one edge of a stud. That would be okay but he doesn't use nail plates. So when I rough in electrical I feel like I'm creating a major hazard and that I'm ripping off the homeowner because I haven't been able to provide the perfect install. Another thing, my boss buys one size of plastic boxes. Sometimes I have to violate the box fill code by one, sometimes two conductors. Again, I worry about the safety hazard and a less than perfect install. Those are a couple of examples. I want nothing more than to learn as many codes as possible and provide the safest, neatest job possible, but until I'm the boss I cannot have a hand in every detail of the job. I just wanted to vent to you professionals and hopefully get some words of encouragement. Thanks!

PetrosA

Encouragement? In support of your Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or in support of your mental health?

In support of your OCD:

Yes, you're right. Learn the code book inside and out, keep on top of changes, whatever your boss doesn't want to supply, pay for out of your own money so you won't be tortured at night and borrow the money if you have to. Keep your own private right angle drill, a stock of nail plates, and a slew of specialized tools so you always have the exact right thing for the job you're doing and don't have to use half baked workarounds or make any compromises that would set off your disorder. Feed the beast.

In support of your mental health:

Let it go. It's your bosses responsibility, not yours. If your boss tells you to do something that's slightly outside the rules and isn't likely to cause shock, serious injury, or death, roll with it. If he tells you to do something that IS likely to cause shock, serious injury or death, get another job. Evaluate the likelihood of something causing shock, serious injury or death based on informed opinion and historical data, not your imagination.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Peter, thanks for the reply. Your second paragraph sums up what I want to do. I respect the opinions and advise on this forum so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be out of line in taking this approach.

kwired

Electron manager
You need to learn that not everything will be perfect on every installation no matter how hard you try. To much focus on that will eventually destroy you, physically, mentally or both.

That said your boss sounds like he is too relaxed on requirements or plain doesn't care. There is a time where you still need to meet certain minimum standards, and if it isn't working out where you are employed you may want to look for employment elsewhere.

James S.

That sucks. I feel blessed that my first boss was one of the good guys. After I had learned a little bit of the trade it became apparent that my boss was head and shoulders above the other guys. Never stop trying to learn and do the right thing when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.