transit connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

drspec

I had a job recently where I had to bring out 50+ wraparound fixtures, 10 ceiling fans, all the switches, receptacles, plates, plus ladders, a table (that comes in very handy vs. putting fans and fixtures together on the floor) and other misc. items needed to finish up this place. All that would never have made it in one trip in that thing, but my trailer was only maybe half full.

I think that van will possibly fit into my trailer.:cool:

I forgot I also had 5 or 6 cases of 4 foot lamps, and several emergency lights and exit signs also.
The Transit gets used for small service calls and sales calls. For a job you describe, that's what the E250 is for or the supply house delivery truck.

Blaer

From the various discussions on this forum, it seems the 'ideal' SMALL truck would be this guy:
Small_USPS_Truck.jpg

Too bad it's not available to us common folk.

For those who just can't seem to survive without hauling around tons od stuff, I think you're really looking for one of these:
2012_ecomax_toolpro_motion.jpg

I wonder if you need a CDL to drive it?

I'm glad the OP is happy with his Transit. I used a grossly overloaded Isuzu P'Up for years, and have seen Ford Rangers bottom-out with an empty utility body added. The local phone company uses quite a few small trucks that are comparable in size to the Transit. My major issue with the overloaded P'Up was the inadequate engine power.

Personally ... all I can say is that nobody, anywhere, makes a truck even close to what I would consider 'ideal.' Just as the car companies have cheerfully ignored the fleets of police cars (don't insult me by mentioning 'police package' options) and taxis, they've been quite happy to ignore the millions of construction workers out there.

A good start would be something like the 'Smart Car' - with SERIOUS towing capacity. A smaller version of the 'yard dog,' as it were.

John120/240

Here in Kansas a CDL is required for vehicles of 26,001 pounds or more. The service truck that is pictured I say NO CDL required. For a
slick box truck set up search for post by member 220/221. For the average box truck NO CDL would be needed.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have talked to a few guys in parking lots with Transits and they have all liked them so far. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the $. Doing mostly resi work, they will get into most people's driveways with no trouble, can easily parallell park, etc. I could carry most any matreials I carry now, just not huge lots. I'd put a 4" PVC pipe carrier on the ladder rack, as I already have on my Tundra. I get about 14 MPG overall. I'd love the enclosed space and could make use of it for most of the work I do. For service upgrades, supply houses deliver or I could use the pickup here and there for such hauls.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The Transit gets used for small service calls and sales calls. For a job you describe, that's what the E250 is for or the supply house delivery truck.

I for sure would have had that load delivered.

PetrosA

This is why I need more leafs added ;)

This is why I need more leafs added ;)

I finally got a chance to get some pics.

Edit to add: Silly me, I forgot to get a pic of the other slider side. That's where the pipe benders are, along with toolboxes with plates, service crimps, sprays, towels etc. are.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I finally got a chance to get some pics.

Edit to add: Silly me, I forgot to get a pic of the other slider side. That's where the pipe benders are, along with toolboxes with plates, service crimps, sprays, towels etc. are.

I see you carry the indispensable supply of kitty litter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.