Question about 320 meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I am replacing a 100 amp meter on a house to a 320 meter base. I'm sending 200 amps to a detached shop and sending 100 amps back to the existing panel in the house. Is there any issue with the 2 services being different amp ratings. Thanks

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Check the wire size limits on the meter base lugs. One question I had with mine that I never answered was if the wires in a lug had to be the same size or not. Since I had two 200A sets of conductors it didn't matter. I would think you can have different sizes as long as each wire is within the limits for the (2) conductor sizing limits on the lugs.

crtemp

Ya I thought of that too. I was going to butt splice the #4 that I'm running to the house into 4/0 urd inside the meter base so the wires under the lugs are the same size.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the load calculations? You may not even need a 320 amp base.

That said, in most cases a 320 amp base will accommodate two load side conductors much easier than a 200 amp base will.

Whether or not you can have two different sized conductors will depend on the lugs. Some bases have lugs installed, some just have studs and you provide your own lugs depending on your needs. A single lug designed for two conductors, will usually require both conductors be the same size. A multi port lug will allow for different size conductor (within listing range) in each port.

crtemp

Ya this installation is going to be way easier with a 320 meterbase. The lugs that come with it are the kind that are designed to have 2 wires landed under each lug. I can't seem to find anywhere on the meter that says they have to be the same size but I think I'm still going to just up the #4 to the house to 4/0 inside the meter base anyway.

I'm not sure what the house would calc out to but it is very small. Only about 800 sq feet and very old. The new shop on the other hand is pretty loaded up. It's about 1600 sq feet and has everything a normal house would have in it upstairs and downstairs is going to be used as sort of a commercial kitchen. It has lots of 20 amp circuits for cookers and mixers and what not. It would most likely calc out around 150 amps would be my guess. Haven't took the time to do a full calc. I knew 200 amps was plenty for what they had going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.