pvc coated ridgid

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjless

I am starting a job that has about 28 4" undergrounds that need to change to pvc coated ridgid witch means a lot of threading. Is anyone aware of a company that makes threading teeth to peel the pvc away before threading. I'm aware of 1/2"-2" and I've called ridgid with no good news any info would help otherwise ill be ordering about 10000 razor blades and adding a week to my scope

NetKarts

We have adjusted the dies to just remove the coating, then clean the dies and make another pass to thread. Or if you only need the RobRoy when you penetrate the slab/grade, order 4"x12" long RR nipples.

Or get the 10000 razor blades, Good Luck!! Hope you make good money!

masterinbama

Use one of these.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00057979/k-G2563836?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CK_SkJWiwrcCFZPm7Aod_x8AuA

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You don't need to remove the coating prior to threading, it still threads the same. The die will just pull the coating off as it cuts the threads.

For our pony threader that uses removable dies, we took a couple different size dies to the machine shop and had them open the hole up on one side where the pipe slid through. Make sure you mark these "special" dies, they are no fun to use on regular rigid when you grab them by mistake.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
We have adjusted the dies to just remove the coating, then clean the dies and make another pass to thread.

Been a while since I used Ridgid's 4" machine, so I can't recall whether it permits that. especially one with the thread-tapering mechanism... but that's usually what I do on smaller sizes, i.e. don't flip the die closer all the way on the first pass.

You don't need to remove the coating prior to threading, it still threads the same. The die will just pull the coating off as it cuts the threads.

Part of the problem I've found isn't that the dies won't remove the coating, it's that it adds extra resistance to turning the conduit, and it slips in the chuck. Tightening down on the chuck just results in gouging the coating...

Never been my dies to alter, but if they were mine, I'd grind a cutter into the leading edge/corner of the dies... similar to a cutting tool for metal on a lathe.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am starting a job that has about 28 4" undergrounds that need to change to pvc coated ridgid witch means a lot of threading. Is anyone aware of a company that makes threading teeth to peel the pvc away before threading. I'm aware of 1/2"-2" and I've called ridgid with no good news any info would help otherwise ill be ordering about 10000 razor blades and adding a week to my scope

'm kay... you can get teeth for the chuck on a rigid threader that are specifically made for ocal, etc.
they are knife edged.

or, you can do it right.... this is how god would thread ocal, if he could afford the threader:

RHINOTM High-Performance Threading Machine
P00551C RHINOTM 1/2?? ? 4?? Threading Machine with Jaws for PVC-Coated Conduit

http://www.tnb.ca/en/catalogues/online/industrial_mro/pdf/c13/06_ocal_e.pdf

http://www.rothenbergertools.us/37-Rothenberger-Rhino.html

cut the pipe to length, and thread it without worrying about the ocal coating.

after the die is done, back it off, and put a razor knife at the back of the thread,
and cut loose the excess ocal coating pushed back from the threaded area...

catch the oil soaked plastic with the tip of the razor knife, and pull it off the
spinning pipe, dropping it in the chip tray.

googled a price new, of 11,209.02...... :weeping:

Status
Not open for further replies.