Disconnecting means for Industrial Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray cyr

Hello all,
I would like your input. We have an Industrial Control Panel that we just built using all UL listed components and installed outdoors in an appropriate enclosure. It is fed from an MCC inside the nearest building. The overcurrent protection, conductor and conduit sizes are all correct for the feeders. Our inspector has told us that we must have an externally operable disconnecting means within sight from this enclosure and has sighted article 430.102 as his reasoning. This panel will be used to control 9 motors and each controller has its own disconnecting means in the enclosure. I think he is mis-interpreting the sighted code. What is your opinion?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello all,
I would like your input. We have an Industrial Control Panel that we just built using all UL listed components and installed outdoors in an appropriate enclosure. It is fed from an MCC inside the nearest building. The overcurrent protection, conductor and conduit sizes are all correct for the feeders. Our inspector has told us that we must have an externally operable disconnecting means within sight from this enclosure and has sighted article 430.102 as his reasoning. This panel will be used to control 9 motors and each controller has its own disconnecting means in the enclosure. I think he is mis-interpreting the sighted code. What is your opinion?

I don't see anything in 430.102 that would require it.

however, you do have to have some kind of disconnect for the motor within sight of the motor with this exception. the easiest way to accomplish that is with a main disconnect with the ICP.

(b) In industrial installations, with written safety procedures,
where conditions of maintenance and supervision
ensure that only qualified persons service the equipment

ray cyr

Each motor has a motor rated lockable switch within a few feet of the motor. We have gone to this to try to eliminate the PITA factor for our mechanics (if it's a pain in the ass to lock out, it ain't happenin').

Status
Not open for further replies.