My bad: analysis of a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I'm generally a pretty good basic level troubleshooter, so when I make a mistake, it's embarrassing, especially when I sit and think about it ;) . I figured I'd analyze it here so others can learn from it too.

Service call to check an apartment losing power intermittently. The property manager had had someone (unclear who...) check the meter and main breaker and claimed that it was all okay, so the problem must be in the apartment. I was called in to check inside the apartment by a real estate manager who is generally a pretty astute guy. He explained that the problems started a few weeks back when there were some repeated issues with HV lines feeding the complex - a car hit a pole bringing lines down, then a branch came down taking another section of lines down, with the POCO making several repairs in a few days/weeks time. Since then lights and receptacles would go off together at various times in multiple rooms. Tenant claimed that turning on the central AC would sometimes cause this, but it would also happen with AC off in the middle of the night. He seemed to think it happened more often in the evening when people were getting home from work. He had also noticed that the lights were dimming pretty often, but since he only has incandescent lamps in a few places (the rest are CFLs), he couldn't say whether it was throughout the apartment.

About three or four minutes into the interview with the tenant, the lights went out for maybe five seconds, then came back on. I went and got a few meters to check both legs, checked the breakers, they were cool, wiggled them around and tapped on them, which didn't cause any flickering or outage. There were no sizzling or crackling sounds from the panel. Voltage read steady on the main lugs although the lights did flicker very slightly from time to time. My setup only samples once per second for data logging, so it's possible I wouldn't see those dips.

I made arrangements to come back the next day when I could get to his main (in the electrical room) to check that out.

When the real estate guy called to make the arrangements the next day, the property manager took it upon himself to bring in another electrician to check the panel in the apartment. That guy claimed that multiple breakers and the bus bar were arc damaged and a panel change was in order. I returned at the end of the day to check out his claim.

I did find one breaker with signs of arcing on the stab behind it, but it was a pretty small spot - certainly not the entire bus bar. Someone had replaced one of the original Murrays with a Challenger brand breaker that had a different shape to the spring tabs which didn't grab the bus bar properly. The damage was slight enough that I actually had a pretty hard time seeing it with my LED flashlight. This breaker fed most of the lights, so it could definitely have given the tenant the impression that the whole apartment was going out. Nonetheless, it means I missed it. I allowed my troubleshooting and diagnosis to be lead by the suggestion of the real estate manager that the problem coincided with the POCO issues from a few weeks ago. I should have checked the breakers and bus for signs of problems but didn't. That's my bad and I own up to it.

What that diagnosis doesn't explain (and we're still waiting to hear back from the tenant) is that some of the lights he said were out were not on that breaker. We'll see how it goes from here.

I used to do a lot more troubleshooting than I do now. I see that I'm not as "in the groove" anymore and I made a stupid mistake. One of the good things about this forum is that it allows me to vicariously take part in jobs or problem solving that I don't normally face, so I figured I'd give something back with the example. I hope it helps someone :)

One last thing I'll mention - I'm a huge fan of my LED flashlight (Fenix TK35), but I wondered about not being able to see the discoloration on the bus bar with it. I could just barely see the pitting, but no discoloration. I know it's a cooler temp than an incandescent flashlight (probably about 6000K, so slightly blue, but not totally blue like the cheap LED flashlights), but I wonder if the color rendering is bad enough that it made the damage harder to see in spite of good, bright light. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One last thing I'll mention - I'm a huge fan of my LED flashlight (Fenix TK35), but I wondered about not being able to see the discoloration on the bus bar with it. I could just barely see the pitting, but no discoloration. I know it's a cooler temp than an incandescent flashlight (probably about 6000K, so slightly blue, but not totally blue like the cheap LED flashlights), but I wonder if the color rendering is bad enough that it made the damage harder to see in spite of good, bright light. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Definitely possible, especially if you do not know the CRI (Color Rendering Index) rating of the LED in your Fenix.
You can get good or bad CRI with either cool and warm color temperature sources. I would use a cheap incandescent flashlight a few times just for comparison and see what your eyes think of it. You can also get standard CRI test charts to look at with different lights. But it is hard to quantify differences that way unless you can do a side by side comparison.
There are some LEDs available now with really high (above 90 on a scale of 100) CRI. That measure is not perfect or complete, especially for photography where the film dye sensitivity peaks affect things strongly and will be different from the eye's sensitivity, but it is a good start.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
When the real estate guy called to make the arrangements the next day, the property manager took it upon himself to bring in another electrician to check the panel in the apartment. That guy claimed that multiple breakers and the bus bar were arc damaged and a panel change was in order. I returned at the end of the day to check out his claim.

I did find one breaker with signs of arcing on the stab behind it, but it was a pretty small spot - certainly not the entire bus bar. Someone had replaced one of the original Murrays with a Challenger brand breaker that had a different shape to the spring tabs which didn't grab the bus bar properly. The damage was slight enough that I actually had a pretty hard time seeing it with my LED flashlight. This breaker fed most of the lights, so it could definitely have given the tenant the impression that the whole apartment was going out. Nonetheless, it means I missed it. I allowed my troubleshooting and diagnosis to be lead by the suggestion of the real estate manager that the problem coincided with the POCO issues from a few weeks ago. I should have checked the breakers and bus for signs of problems but didn't. That's my bad and I own up to it.

nice vote of confidence from the property manager.
we all like the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from this sort of gameplay.:huh:

you say there was a small amount of arcing on ONE breaker. does moving
that wire to a breaker in another part of the panel solve the problem?
"signs of arcing" means to me there was a little discoloration, but the thing
wasn't toasted.

so, it's probably not the problem. 'specially as there were things misbehaving
that are not on that circuit. seeing as the problem spans more than one circuit,
i'd be looking at one of the feeders, or a loose neutral somewhere.

as for the flashlight, there's nothing wrong with the fenix. here is what i have
discovered about "defective" lighting sources: they have become much more
common after the age of 55, in my case.

also, you are looking for discoloration on metal parts, not matching pearls for
mikimoto... :lol: even if there isn't a perfect color balance on a light source,
and there almost never is, if it's bright, crisp and even, you can see relative
differences due to heat discoloration on an aluminum or bright dipped steel
buss well enough to troubleshoot, i believe.

i've given up on flashlights, having gone to headlamps a while ago.
this is all i'm using anymore:

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/headlamps/maximus.html

it's 500 lumens, and the light is even. it ruined me for any other flashlight.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
After reading the first paragraph my gut was a bad phase. I am curious if the other lights and receptacles were on the same phase.

BTW- since flashlights are the talk I use "The Larry" and use rechareable batteries - my guys love them and they were incredible thru the storm damages outage we just had. It clips on your shirt can fit in your pocket and the clip swivels for different angles. Cheap $10

13551_4165_large.jpg

growler

you say there was a small amount of arcing on ONE breaker. does moving
that wire to a breaker in another part of the panel solve the problem?
"signs of arcing" means to me there was a little discoloration, but the thing
wasn't toasted.

so, it's probably not the problem. 'specially as there were things misbehaving
that are not on that circuit. seeing as the problem spans more than one circuit,
i'd be looking at one of the feeders, or a loose neutral somewhere.

I doubt if this little bit of arcing was the problem.

I think the other electrician just wanted to sell a panel change ( I see a lot of that ) and it's a good way to make money but it's not very honest and poor trouble-shooting.

I would take note of what's in this panel and see if that explains anything. Does it have an electric water heater? Many people take a shower before going to bed and this turns on the water heater and would provide a load to turn the lights off at night if it is a bad phase. Same thing when people get off work, cooking and cleaning up.

I would try to load the panel by turning on as many appliances as possible. I'll have to agree with Denis because my gut also says bad phase.

One more thing, I would check the voltage at one of those light fixtures that's dimming. It could be a number of problems on branch circuits (poor connections).

kwired

Electron manager
I doubt if this little bit of arcing was the problem.
Me either

I think the other electrician just wanted to sell a panel change ( I see a lot of that ) and it's a good way to make money but it's not very honest and poor trouble-shooting.
And if the problem was not in the panel that was changed, he looks like a fool when same symptoms return.

I would try to load the panel by turning on as many appliances as possible. I'll have to agree with Denis because my gut also says bad phase.
good idea, add extra load than usual if possible, it will make a poor connection heat up even faster

Last edited by a moderator:

templdl

My experience has been with an 8 family when each unit had a sub panel each having a main breaker in a basement electrical room.
The tenant complaint was that half the lights had gone out which some came back dim inermitantly. Confused at first I identified the the problem as being the main breaker as having a bad pole which was supplying power to only one line.
I then concluded that that the 240v baseboard heaters when the thermostat caller for heat were back feeding the voltage present on the live line through the heaters to the open line causing the lights on that line to glow dimly.
I exercised the main breaker numerous time knowing that the contacts don't just simply close together but rub together while closing where I was able to restore power Until I could return with as replacement breaker.I did use my infrared temperature sensor to look at the surface temperature of face of the breaker d the right pole was significantly warmer than the lift pole.
Needless to say it was a very interesting learning experience in solving this problem.

sparkyrick

My experience has been with an 8 family when each unit had a sub panel each having a main breaker in a basement electrical room.
The tenant complaint was that half the lights had gone out which some came back dim inermitantly. Confused at first I identified the the problem as being the main breaker as having a bad pole which was supplying power to only one line.
I then concluded that that the 240v baseboard heaters when the thermostat caller for heat were back feeding the voltage present on the live line through the heaters to the open line causing the lights on that line to glow dimly.
I exercised the main breaker numerous time knowing that the contacts don't just simply close together but rub together while closing where I was able to restore power Until I could return with as replacement breaker.I did use my infrared temperature sensor to look at the surface temperature of face of the breaker d the right pole was significantly warmer than the lift pole.
Needless to say it was a very interesting learning experience in solving this problem.

Nice detective work! 240V loads back feeding on an open phase can be confusing.

RLyons

I use the Fenix HP11 headlamp I will never have a hand tied up or be blinded by turning around and looking at my own light again. I was told never to load test while or using customer appliances as you could be endangering them, is this an incorrect advice?

ceb58

Had a similar situation once on a house. Half of the power would go out for about 5 min. then come back on. I had POCO come out and put the "beast' on the meter after running it for a little bit one of the phases dropped out. We looked and there was a splice on the service drop. The splice was bad causing it to heat up and lose connection. If they have been experiencing the lines being torn down and repaired I would have the POCO back out checking splices.

templdl

Nice detective work! 240V loads back feeding on an open phase can be confusing.

Thanks. Yes it was confusing at first and I did feel defeated. But when I started to make sense of it it does add to your trouble shooting confident. It reminds of the time one of my refrigerator OEMs complaining that the contacts of the contactor of the motor starter were chattering and destroying the contacts. After finding out that they were using 2-wire control where there was an ammonia next to a control switch that was the cause of the contact chatter. The OEM was pleased that I had them consider a switch as the probable cause. They were trying to a warranty claim for the contactor.
Diagnosing a chase of failure can be satisfying.

kwired

Electron manager
I use the Fenix HP11 headlamp I will never have a hand tied up or be blinded by turning around and looking at my own light again. I was told never to load test while or using customer appliances as you could be endangering them, is this an incorrect advice?
You do need to use some discretion and disconnect anything that may be easily damaged by unstable voltage. Items with heating elements or motors are not all that subject to damage and will usually be low impedance items in the circuit, the high impedance items are what will experience a higher than usual voltage across them in the case of trying to load a bad neutral in a MWBC.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Definitely possible, especially if you do not know the CRI (Color Rendering Index) rating of the LED in your Fenix.
You can get good or bad CRI with either cool and warm color temperature sources. I would use a cheap incandescent flashlight a few times just for comparison and see what your eyes think of it. You can also get standard CRI test charts to look at with different lights. But it is hard to quantify differences that way unless you can do a side by side comparison.
There are some LEDs available now with really high (above 90 on a scale of 100) CRI. That measure is not perfect or complete, especially for photography where the film dye sensitivity peaks affect things strongly and will be different from the eye's sensitivity, but it is a good start.
My sister for Christmas a few years ago gave me a "barbeque light" which is a battery powered bank of LED's on a gooseneck on a magnetic base. It's very bright but useless for grilling, as there is virtually no red light in its emission spectrum. It renders rare and well done meat indistinguishable from each other. I use it as a bedside reading lamp; it's great for that.

templdl

My sister for Christmas a few years ago gave me a "barbeque light" which is a battery powered bank of LED's on a gooseneck on a magnetic base. It's very bright but useless for grilling, as there is virtually no red light in its emission spectrum. It renders rare and well done meat indistinguishable from each other. I use it as a bedside reading lamp; it's great for that.

To use it to grill with is like grilling by the braille method. The same with my low pressure sodium light. You can't see red. My grass in my yard looks black also.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Also don't give the POCO so much credit. Just because they repaired it doesn't mean they repaired it correctly.

Problem may not be on your end at all.

PetrosA

Nice to know that you guys are less hard on me than I am on myself :) I will be in contact with the real estate manager tomorrow and ask if things are still acting up or not. Based on the tenant's words, I also think it's not unreasonable to suspect an issue on the POCO's side, but I wasn't able to talk to any of the neighbors to find out if anyone else was having issues or not.

The older and more experienced I get, the more amazed I am at how easily forgotten routines can be. My biggest mistake was not using my mental checklist when I got there. OTOH, maybe it's just all the stress of being in business and behind on bills, supporting a family, driving 500+ miles a week, thinking about getting older, not getting enough sleep, am I forgetting anything else? ;)

kwired

Electron manager
Nice to know that you guys are less hard on me than I am on myself :) I will be in contact with the real estate manager tomorrow and ask if things are still acting up or not. Based on the tenant's words, I also think it's not unreasonable to suspect an issue on the POCO's side, but I wasn't able to talk to any of the neighbors to find out if anyone else was having issues or not.

The older and more experienced I get, the more amazed I am at how easily forgotten routines can be. My biggest mistake was not using my mental checklist when I got there. OTOH, maybe it's just all the stress of being in business and behind on bills, supporting a family, driving 500+ miles a week, thinking about getting older, not getting enough sleep, am I forgetting anything else? ;)

Those sound like my problems, you need to get your own problems, but you are welcome to have mine if I get to choose which problems I want:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.