Ticket Sales Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Our church has erected a 16x24 wood structure with a 4/12 hip roof similar to your average storage building. Holes were cut in the pavement and 4x4 poles installed in concrete much like a deck and the floor and building were erected from there. It is actually about 8above the pavement. They use this building once a year for dinner ticket sales for an outside event and also hold meetings in it monthly througout the year. My question is, would it be ok to wire this building for lights,Receptacles Heat and air with NM Romex?
The walls and ceiling wil be sheetrock and ther will be no attic access and even if there were it would be useless since the crawl space between the top of the ceiling joists and the bottom of the rafters is very minimal. My first thought was to wire it with MC Cable, but, cant find a good reason not to use NM if it doesnt violate any rules. It would be much cheaper to put it in romex and plastic boxes. I just dont use romex in my line of work very often. Just looking for some Opinions.

Thanks,
Jap.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
334.10(3) restricts non-dwelling installations to Types III, IV, and V construction. See both the detail of 334.10(3) and Annex E for more info. Also check with AHJ for local restrictions.

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like it is a little small to get 100 people in there, but if you do get a 100+ occupancy then it is a place of assembly and NM would not be permitted.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Best I can tell, seems NM Romex would be allowe for this type of structure unless I'm reading it all wrong?

eprice

Unless specifically adopted, annex E is only for reference. The governing building code is likely the IBC or a modified version of it. Under the IBC, as small as this building is, it would most likely be classified as a B occupancy rather than an A (assembly) occupancy. Even if it were to be classified as an A occupancy, it is well within the floor area limit allowed to be built with type V construction without a fire rating, in which case, 518.4(B) would allow the use of NM cable. As always, check with the AHJ, but unless there are some local amendments to either the IBC or the NEC, there should be no reason that NM cable can't be used.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I contacted the building inspector and he is allowing the building to be wired in NM.

Thanks,
JAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.