mini-load center bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaulty

hey moderators,I am happy to finally be here as I have been a guest/lurker for too long. I have an easy question you have been through before. We are installing a number of mini-power zone,single phase, 25 kva load centers. Fed from the busway. The contention is certain individuals feel it is unnessary to exothermic bond the transfomers sec. to the buiding steel. They say the equipment ground is sufficient to connect to as it runs back to the bus equipment ground terminal. I am asking for validation as code references are considered not related to the occupancy. Your opinion would be helpful as I try to convince the supervisor it is nessasary. Thank you for your input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum. I believe you are correct as the transformer is an separately derived system and must be connected to the electrode system. I will have to search for the article and perhaps someone else will have it before I find it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think this is an excellent question.
My first reply was that an separate grounding electrode conductor to a suitable electrode was needed for the transformer secondary.
I always thought exception 2 applied only to mini-power zones that were used as service equipment, however, on closer read, the exception states in "listed equipment suitable as service equipment".
IMO, which could be incorrect if the OP's mini-zone equipment is listed as suitable for service equipment and, if his equipment grounding conductor is sized as noted in the exception, the EGC can be used as the GEC.

side note to OP: The only time I know that the GEC termination must be exothermic is covered in 250.68(A) Exception 2.

Last edited:

jumper

I think this is an excellent question.
My first reply was that an separate grounding electrode conductor to a suitable electrode was needed for the transformer secondary.
I always thought exception 2 applied only to mini-power zones that were used as service equipment, however, on closer read, the exception states in "listed equipment suitable as service equipment".
IMO, which could be incorrect if the OP's mini-zone equipment is listed as suitable for service equipment and, if his equipment grounding conductor is sized as noted in the exception, the EGC can be used as the GEC.

side note to OP: The only time I know that the GEC termination must be exothermic is covered in 250.68(A) Exception 2.

Gus, how is that gonna fly given this?

250.121 Use of Equipment Grounding Conductors. An
equipment grounding conductor shall not be used as a
grounding electrode conductor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks Derek..,,,,,
I have now flip-flopped again :D
Reading the exception for the 4th or 5th time, it appears a grounding electrode conductor would need to be present.
(although it does mention from the service or feeder equipment).

I guess a mini-zone that had a supply grounding electrode (such as actual service equipment) would qualify.

(I hate 'exceptions')

jumper

Thanks Derek..,,,,,
I have now flip-flopped again :D
Reading the exception for the 4th or 5th time, it appears a grounding electrode conductor would need to be present.
(although it does mention from the service or feeder equipment).

I guess a mini-zone that had a supply grounding electrode (such as actual service equipment) would qualify.

(I hate 'exceptions')

I think that section has more exceptions than rules.:rant:

The best option I can think of is to ban Goldy for asking this headache question....:D

Better yet: Tar and the feather the guy.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Better yet: Tar and the feather the guy.
Would you consider diluted bitumen instead?
That is apparently an exception to the laws regulating oil pipelines and it sets up much like tar when the solvent evaporates.
Also, no feathers from endangered species please.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I found this in the handbook but not sure it pertains to except. 2

ry%3D480

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yep it is and I am wondering if the OP is involved with that and that is why it came up.

I have no idea what a mini-power zone is all about

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Prior to the 2011 code, I could see no reason why you could not unsize the primary EGC and use it both as the primary EGC and the GEC for the secondary of the transformer. Yes, you would have to comply with the rules for both conductors, but it was doable...now comes the 2011 code and they specifically tell us that you cannot use the EGC as a GEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So Don do you know what the exception#2 in 250.30(A)(4) is all about
The main rule in (A)(4) requires the use of a local water pipe or local building steel as the SDS grounding electrode. The exception permits you not to use those local electrodes and in place of that run a GEC to the building grounding electrode if the SDS "originates" in the service equipment. However it is not completely clear. I read it as permitting the SDS to be remote from the service equipment and running the GEC to the service equipment. I think that may not be what the intent is. I think the intent may be that the SDS is physically installed in the service equipment. Sometimes you will have a 480 volt service and in one of the sections you will have a transformer and 208/120Y panel...that may be what the section intends.

Status
Not open for further replies.