NEC 700.20 Emergency lighting circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ih17dka8

My contractor said that the above paragraph directed that emergency battery packed lighting shall not be switched 3-way or 4-way. Is that right? All lightings getting power from ATS(normal or generator) shall not be switched also with 3-way or 4-way switches. What's the definition of emergency light in the NEC 700.20 paragraph?

eHunter

My contractor said that the above paragraph directed that emergency battery packed lighting shall not be switched 3-way or 4-way. Is that right? All lightings getting power from ATS(normal or generator) shall not be switched also with 3-way or 4-way switches. What's the definition of emergency light in the NEC 700.20 paragraph?

That seems to be what 700.20(B) indicates.

"700.20 Switch Requirements.
(B) Series Connected or Three Way and Four Way Switches.​
Switches connected in series or 3- and 4-way switches shall not be used."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never seen a switch that controlled the required emergency lighting. I have seen some installations where the fixture was controlled by a switch but set up so that the light comes on with a power failure no matter what position the control switch is in.

eHunter

I have never seen a switch that controlled the required emergency lighting. I have seen some installations where the fixture was controlled by a switch but set up so that the light comes on with a power failure no matter what position the control switch is in.

Likewise, there was an emergency lighting contactor that bypassed any normal condtion switching for any designated emergency egress lighting.
This particular contactor was controlled by signals from the fire control panel, the security control panel, the genset ATS and a power fail controller, any or all could activate the emergency lighting contactor.

Status
Not open for further replies.