High ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

What do you guys use to reach high ceilings. If you're putting up ceilings fans. Do you use a-frame or scaffolding.are those little giant ladders any good for this type of work.

Thanks,gus

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What do you guys use to reach high ceilings. If you're putting up ceilings fans. Do you use a-frame or scaffolding.are those little giant ladders any good for this type of work.

Thanks,gus

How high-- I have a 12' step ladder that I have hung fans with. I probably should say this but I have also used 2 sawhorses (very sturdy ones) and put 2x10 boards screwed down to the sawhorses. I then placed the 12' ladder so the legs are over the saw horses and then I use long screws placed by the feet so they can't move.

guschash

Wow I thought I did crazy things. :) hope someone was holding the ladder. I am talking high. I had two scaffolds and still couldn't reachn it, one more scaffold and it would of worked. My who in Colorado, her family room hadn't someone hang her ceiling fan. Said he used a A-frame.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Wow I thought I did crazy things. :)

Actually it was very safe, IMO. I have done some very crazy things in my days but I have a friend who would use an extension ladder to climb a pole and he would shimmy out upside down on the 2" pipe that held a mercury vapor fixture and then change the ballast. Now that was crazy.

Anyway the little giant is great but if you use it a handful of times in your life then it may be worth it rather than rent scaffold.

cpinetree

16ft & 20ft

16ft & 20ft

We have both a 16ft & 20 ft stepladder, both are a pain to maneuver inside a house. We say it takes two men and a strong boy to set up the 20 footer.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We have both a 16ft & 20 ft stepladder, both are a pain to maneuver inside a house. We say it takes two men and a strong boy to set up the 20 footer.

it takes that many people just to talk about what it would be like if you could get it off the truck.

the little giant skyscrapers are mostly owned and used... by churches.
i set one up by myself..... once. screw it. if a 12' ladder isn't getting me
there, then a scissor lift is called for. or an electric zoom boom.

those are fun.

RLyons

Aluminum ladder is the beginning of every electrician joke :p Is that a OSHA violation? There have been a couple of instance where I thought to myself "who's idea was it to put a light here" extension ladder spread eagle with one foot on the ladder the other on the wall

James S.

How high-- I have a 12' step ladder that I have hung fans with. I probably should say this but I have also used 2 sawhorses (very sturdy ones) and put 2x10 boards screwed down to the sawhorses. I then placed the 12' ladder so the legs are over the saw horses and then I use long screws placed by the feet so they can't move.

I have done something similar. 2 scaffold planks laid side by side each one set on the edge of the upstairs loft and 12' ladders then I walked out with my 6' ladder and climbed up that. Nothing screwed down....and all this was just to put a blank on a missing light so a super could get his inspection. Missing light wasn't even our fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.