Database of UL Listed Panel Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaset

Title says it all. The UL website discusses becoming a listed panel shop, but I didn't see an accompanying link to all the shops that have done so. Am I missing something obvious on the UL site, or has someone compiled a list of them?

Thanks!

Blaer

A "panel shop" can be many things, and most of them are in-house operations for machinery assemblers. You buy a water pressure booster system for your hi-rise, their listed panel shop makes up a control panel for each specific job.

I doubt you'll find a 'directory' anywhere- even within the halls of UL.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A "panel shop" can be many things, and most of them are in-house operations for machinery assemblers. You buy a water pressure booster system for your hi-rise, their listed panel shop makes up a control panel for each specific job.

I doubt you'll find a 'directory' anywhere- even within the halls of UL.
Just as with Licensed Contractors in some states, it is easy to check a specific number, but very hard to get a list.
Basically in UL terms the fact that something is "listed" does not mean that you can look at the whole list. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You do need to know a bit about how the system works.
  1. Start with the Online Certifications Directory. You can find it from the link or on UL’s home page. (Bottom of the page under Tools)
  2. Under keyword inter "508a". Press “SEARCH”. This will give you a wild list of stuff you don’t necessarily want; but, in this case, its only seven pages, so page through until you find various “Guide Information” titles. You probably want Industrial Control Panels on Page 3. There are two other possibly relevant Titles on Page 4.
  3. On the right hand side click on the link to NITW.GuideInfo.
  4. You’re almost there. In the upper left click on View Listings. You have 434 pages of “UL Listed Panel Shops.”

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You do need to know a bit about how the system works.
  1. Start with the Online Certifications Directory. You can find it from the link or on UL’s home page. (Bottom of the page under Tools)
  2. Under keyword inter "508a". Press “SEARCH”. This will give you a wild list of stuff you don’t necessarily want; but, in this case, its only seven pages, so page through until you find various “Guide Information” titles. You probably want Industrial Control Panels on Page 3. There are two other possibly relevant Titles on Page 4.
  3. On the right hand side click on the link to NITW.GuideInfo.
  4. You’re almost there. In the upper left click on View Listings. You have 434 pages of “UL Listed Panel Shops.”
Good explanation, but he'd have got there faster following my instructions... except mine returns 499 or 500 pages (which may be the max returned), probably because it will list a broader scope of categories (e.g. NITW7 and NRBX). However, the search can easily be refined by simply making selections in the other options. For example adding Georgia as a search refinement drops the pages down to 22.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If we're gonna play "Name That Tune", put nitw in the Category Code and Georgia in the US State. That yields only 10 pages. The other 12 from your search is mostly extraneous Industrial Control Panels Certified for Canada; as is the extra 66 pages from the 500 paqe search.

What I was trying to teach (and failed) is getting the right Category Code is usually the key and finding the ?Guide Information? can reduce the search time. It also leads to the manufactures. Actually, a simpler way is to search the White Book for the Category Code. The problem is that finding the White Book isn?t so easy; it isn?t linked on UL?s home page. But it can be searched for ? and the latest 2013 Edition is free for downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.