Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
HOUSE BILL 120
RATIFIED BILL
This Bill 120 has been passed and signed by the Gov. Pat McCory and takes affect July 1, 2013
This new law will change the way NC adopts the electrial code. Instead of every 3 years, it will go to 6 years.

The next electrial code maybe adopted in 2019.
Will keep you updated if this changes.

AN ACT to require approval from the North Carolina building code council before a unit of local government may require building inspections in addition to those required by the building Code; to specify the frequency and effective dates of Code updates; and to exempt cable television equipment installation from building code requirements.
Click here to read the bill

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
HOUSE BILL 120
RATIFIED BILL
This Bill 120 has been passed and signed by the Gov. Pat McCory and takes affect July 1, 2013
This new law will change the way NC adopts the electrial code. Instead of every 3 years, it will go to 6 years.

So, the actual text of THE ACT being clear as mud, does this require the Council to revise the NC Electrical code every six years whether it needs it or not? Prohibit the Council from choosing to revise it more often than that? And at those six year intervals are they required to come up to the latest effective NEC or can they just update to an earlier revision or choose to make no changes at all?
It appears that perhaps they are allowed to make small emergency revisions to the NC codes independent of revisions to the NEC, but even that may be prohibited by the language of THE ACT.

I suppose that six years is long enough to amortize the effort of learning a new Code revision, but sometimes important things change faster than that. :roll:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As usual I think the BCC will have the right to review the new code and decide whether or not to accept the new code - in this case the 2017 or pick the 2014 instead. They may also opt for keeping the 2011. I think economics will play a major role in their decisions.

I also know that they are reviewing the se cable status and their is a good chance that se cable will be 75C again- thru an amendment - whether in insulation or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.